_

Pages

Friday, 26 June 2015

Castles and Cappuccino in Caernarfon

Caernarfon in Wales - Maria A Smith

Yesterday afternoon, hubby and I drove into Caernarfon for the afternoon, if you read yesterday's post, you'll know that I wasn't sure if I'd need my waterproofs. Well, I didn't in fact it was warm, and pleasant enough to walk about without wrapping up.

We parked in the harbour carpark in the shadow of Caernarfon Castle, and to say it's impressive would be an understatement, built by Edward 1 and set on the banks of the Menai Strait in the heart of North Wales, it's magnificent. We decided to have a walk around the harbour area, followed by a mooch around the Royal town of Caernarfon which boasts a variety of small independent shops and cafe's.

We ate a late lunch in the cafe in my image collage above, enjoying cappuccinos and panini's we sat upstairs and looked down into the square below. Amazingly, it wasn't busy. There were other tourists of course, but it wasn't at all crowded.

Afterwards, I wandered with my camera a while, capturing images of the buildings around, many  intrigued me, I've grown into being interested in architecture, and whenever I visit a new town or city I always look up above the shops and businesses to take in the wonderful buildings, and see when they were built. There are many styles in Caernarfon, apart from good examples of medieval architecture, there are other buildings dating back only a few hundreds years.

Eventually, we found ourselves back in large square where we'd eaten earlier, only to find many of the shops closing up for the day. We'd ran out of time! And hadn't even visited the marina around the other side of the harbour. Which I'm told is very modern in contrast and houses many bars, restaurants, a theatre and much more.

I had one more thing to do before I left Caernarfon, and I was running out of time. I dashed across the square, hoping the little ice-cream parlour I'd spotted earlier would still be open. Fortunately, I caught them just in time to buy a vanilla and cappuccino ice cream in a chocolate dipped cornet. Delicious!

If you're ever in the area, it's well worth visiting  Caernarfon, but go early! We were too late to gain entrance to the castle, and do it justice, so we chose to walk around and discover what lay inside the walled town. It's worth doing both.

More tales from North Wales soon.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like that was an excellent safari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was indeed! Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  2. That ice-cream sounds delicious. I love old buildings too, and always scan to see if there's a date.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too Annalisa...I imagine who used to live there too, and what their lives were like.

      Delete
  3. Caenarfon Castle is great. We did get there early for our visit - just as well as there are a lot of spiral staircases and I like to climb every one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blimey, I dont have the energy for that...but yes, getting there earlier would have been good as we would definitely gone into the castle.

      Delete
  4. We used to have a lot of family holidays in Wales, because it was the nearest proper seaside to us in North Staffordshire. I really ought to go there again, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do Julia, and relive all those memories. A bit of nostalgia is good for the soul.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!