_

Pages

Sunday, 14 June 2015

Lazy Sunday Afternoon (Goals Part 9) 14th June 2015

A Summers Day?  - Image Credit Pixabay

Grey skies all weekend, what a washout! There was nothing for it but to carry on regardless - you can't let a few inches of rain put your life on hold can you? Although dodging heavy downpours is no fun. Thank goodness for fast drying fabrics... There was a positive of sorts, more time for resting mind and body. 

Today,  I reflected on my week. I slowed life right down, until it resembled something quite unlike my usual crazy tail chasing adventure. Too much going on, so ditch something I tell myself. Easier said than done. Accept you can't  do everything all the time. Hmmm, yes, I need to do this. 

I'll just get on with my review of the last seven days, and say it how it is...here is the list I made on Sunday last week, with answers.

Writing - 

Enter a story into the Writing Magazine competition - I tried on the eve of the deadline, but could not get my entry to upload to their website. It's my own fault for leaving it so late to enter! 


Query a magazine re an article on caravanning - Failed because I didn't plan the time.

Edit a chapter of my novel - As above, I didn't plan.

Learn more about Scrivener - As above. I didn't plan. This is a recurring theme!

Take part in #writingchat on Wednesday - This I did manage, and it was a really good discussion about character names. It could of quite easily gone on for hours! 

Have a go at the writing group task - I did manage this, which needed to be done by Saturday morning, before the writing group meeting at 10.30am, so I was scribbling at 10.10am in the cafe down the road. But I did it, and felt so much better afterwards. 

Write a letter - Nope! 

Do a blog post - Yes, but it was the one where I set myself these targets!

Health - 

Get to the pool at least twice! Three sessions at the pool. Hurrah! 


Go for a walk - Yes, I did, twice. Once in the pouring rain too. 

Pilates - Yes, and mindful meditation afterwards. 

Circuits - Yes, but that was on Tuesday afternoon, and ever since I've had a mildly aching back, and it has slowed me down.

Plan healthy meals for the week ahead - Yes, all meals were planned and executed. At least that side of things ran smoothly.

Reading through the above tells me several things about my week. I'll start with the positive.

All my health targets were achieved, and in some cases I went above my target, as well as adding in a few extras. How good is that? Well I feel well pleased on that front, except for how I was left feeling after the circuits session. It is a physiotherapist led class at the hospital, and is well run, and I certainly didn't think I had overdone it. However, very soon afterwards my back started to ache and whatever I did seemed to have little effect. 

I'm going to have flare ups, and I'm better educated, on dealing with them after the back classes I'm attending. I slowed things down, but still kept going with moderate exercise all week. By Friday I was very tired, and still aching, so I switched to total relaxation, and today, I'm feeling much better. I haven't been troubled with my back all day. 

Writing wise. I wasn't organised enough. If I'm truthful, I put health first, and that is the way it has to be for the short term. Although, I can't help feeling disappointed with myself. I gave myself a pep talk earlier today, and tried to focus on the positives of last week. 

How can I do better? Well, IT IS DOWN TO ME, and I do have a list for the week ahead, and , I need to find my writing buddy, Wayne, who has disappeared down a black hole. I'm going on a quest to find him, and when I catch up with him, I'll drag him back screaming and kicking, and together, we'll forge on with our plans. Which we'll both have changed to accommodate circumstances etc. Having someone else who is also trying to achieve goals is a huge motivator, although  ultimately it comes down to me. 

The week ahead is going to be simple.

Keep on with the exercise, and sort out a plan to incorporate some daily writing. 

Okay that was my week. what happened to yours? And what lies ahead? 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds a very good plan Maria. I reckon George Harrison was right: “It's being here now that's important. There's no past and there's no future. Time is a very misleading thing. All there is ever, is the now. We can gain experience from the past, but we can't relive it; and we can hope for the future, but we don't know if there is one.” 2
    I'm going to blog (overdue but posted now) - try and edit the next 2 chapters and see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd like mindfulness Keith, its all about the now, and living in the moment. I hope you managed to get your goals done...
      I'm going to zip over to your blog now and see what you've written.

      Delete
  2. I've also been working on trying to ditch something. One of the yoga classes I teach has had only low attendance recently, and although the absentees had genuine reasons for not being there (and most let me know in advance), I've come to realise that I can't continue like this indefiniitely, not least because it's very disheartening. Therefore, I've decided to suspend this one for the summer and reconsider it in September, based on whether or not I and they have missed it. Keep on keeping on, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia,
      That sounds like a good plan to me. I have just suspended my Subs club meetings for July and August as so many folks have holidays etc, and its difficult to keep it all going on low numbers.

      Delete
  3. *Calls up from the bottom of the cavernous pit of unproductivity* Helloooooo! I'm alive!

    Love the honesty and straight-talking in this post, Maria. You've tackled the challenges head-on and you are right to focus on your health. It's great to see that you hit every one of your health targets and if that is at the expense of missing a few self-imposed writing goals, then so be it. I think you only need one or two writing goals at the moment - keep your focus on what matters and don't be hard on yourself when you miss the odd target.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there you are...good to see you are getting back on track too.
      Life is busy, and I was well pleased to hit my health goals, and yes, I need to keep things simple.

      Delete
  4. It's more important you achieved so much for your health, Maria - the rest can wait! Sorry about the bad weather. We left Scotland in autumny cold but had a weak in beautiful Italian sunshine so I don't mind so much now as at least we got some vitamin D!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sounds wonderful Rosemary...you're right about getting sunshine and vitamin D. Have a good week.

      Delete
  5. Your writing week sounds a little like mine. :(
    Lots of plans, and not quite getting there, but I think you're right! Getting the 'health' stuff down is so, so important and that's where you've got me beat hands down. I think I'm going to take a tip from you and ensure I include some health goals week by week. Even if I don't put them on my blog, knowing that I've done them will probably be all manner of good for me. :)

    Hope this week goes a little better for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, put your health up there at the forefront, and yes it is difficult, especially as we, ladies tend to put ourselves at the back of the queue behind family.
      Hope you manage you health goals.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!