_

Pages

Monday, 29 June 2015

The Castle, That Really Wasn't A Castle At All (Goals Part 11) 28th June 2015

Penrhyn Castle North Wales - Maria A Smith

In my last post I mentioned we were on our way to visit a castle, but got side tracked, because I wanted to take lots of pictures of the stunning scenery as we went through the mountains in Snowdonia.

Eventually we arrived at Penrhyn Castle, it was 4.30pm, and I didn't think they would let us in, but the lovely National Trust staff were friendly and welcoming and said we had thirty minutes to do a whistle stop tour of the house. Yes, you read that right. The house. It isn't a castle!

At first glance you'd be fooled into thinking you were visiting a castle, heck it's called Penrhyn Castle, and certainly looks like a Normandy castle from the outside. It does posses something of a sombre air about it too, and it looks medieval, but it's definitely a mock castle.

Penrhyn Castle was built by the Pennant family between 1822 and 1837. They made their fortune in Welsh slate and Jamaican sugar, and employed the services of the famous architect Thomas Hopper to design the house, and its numerous opulent Victorian rooms. He  spared no expense, and it's clear the owners were show offs to the extreme. There are many interesting objects everywhere.

It quickly became clear to us we were not going to see everything in half an hour, but we were keen to look around, and almost had the whole place to ourselves, but all too soon our visit did come to an end, as we realised the staff were locking doors behind us, so reluctantly we left. Vowing that when we returned this way again we'd definitely come back and explore some more.

So what about goals?

Last week I said I was going to write short pieces, and I have - I've done a lot of blog posts in the last week. I've also been collecting ideas, in the things I've seen and done. There has been exercise too, but only walking, and stretching, and I'm happy with that for now.

The week ahead is all about exploring more of Wales, so they'll be blogging, and not a lot else.

What have you been up to? What plans do you have?

1 comment:

  1. I could do with stretching my legs in Wales. This week and on into the distance seemingly without end I'm embroiled in a MASSIVE proofreading job on a fairly dull subject. I've got to stick at it, because the deadline will be upon me before I know it if I let my guard down. For now I shall take my pleasure vicariously.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!