_

Pages

Sunday, 5 July 2015

Back on The Treadmill (Goals Part 12) 5th July 2015

Brecon Canal Basin - Maria A Smith

My holiday isn't a distant memory yet, but it's definitely over. Once home on Friday evening, the washing machine was put on double duty, the supermarket plundered for groceries, and I lowered myself back into real life.

Saturday morning I went along to my writing group and although I didn't take a manuscript for critique, I did do the Chairman's challenge piece. Which was 200 words of flash fiction, Written in ten minutes, whilst having a cuppa in a nearby cafe just prior to the meeting. There is nothing like a deadline to gee you into action.

My plans for the week ahead are all written down. As per my previous post, you'll recall I said I was going to try a different way of working for the next six months in an attempt to up my productivity.

Here we go then,


  • Write something everyday - I'm going to write in small windows of time, mainly half hour sessions, so it'll be interesting to see what I can achieve. 

  • Exercise everyday - Same plan as above. I'm aiming for half hour sessions here, and I'll mix them up a bit so I don't get bored.

It's a simple plan, and once I saw it down on paper, I could visualise it. 

I'm back at work tomorrow, and suppose by lunchtime it will feel like my holiday is a distant memory, but I can say, it was a good one and I've come back rested, and ready to start over.

What do you plan to do this week?

12 comments:

  1. Having just spent five days on a canal boat, getting back to the real world is proving difficult. My plan is to write another chapter of my novel then create an 'elevator pitch' of it for the RNA conference on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you need to be productive, good luck with the elevator pitch, I find them so difficult to do...

      Delete
  2. Put one of your lovely photos of your holiday right under your nose to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Julia, have put it on my phone.

      Delete
  3. I hate that back-to-earth feeling after a holiday. Small regular slots for writing - and exercise - sounds so manageable you'll wonder why you didn't do it ages ago :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Takes a bit of getting used to, but it has to be done!

      Delete
  4. What I plan to do, and what I actually achieve, are usually two very different things! But I do find short bursts of writing interspersed with other activities are usually more productive than trying to write for a whole morning or afternoon. Looming deadlines also help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you and I are alike Linda...

      Delete
  5. I like your photo. There's no scenery like that where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm planning to start Chapter 4 of my 4th novel. Having recently said goodbye to my literary agent (I've explained why in my blog if you have 2 mins) I'll also be checking my emails every hour to see if I've heard back from 3 new agents I've sent a query letter to - although the criteria says if I haven't heard from them in 6 weeks it's probably a 'no thank you'. Four weeks to go then....

    Good luck with your plan. I recently ran from the entrance where I work to the car park ( about 500m) to avoid a rain storm. It took me a minute to recover enough to drive! I definitely need to do some regular exercise. I will take a leaf out of your book.

    Ange xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angela, I will nip across and read all bout your agent woes...
      I'm sure something good is around the corner for you.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!