_

Pages

Sunday, 23 August 2015

Writerly Things

Notebook - Maria A Smith

I missed posting last week. I'm blaming the time bandits! But I'm here now with a quick recap on the last two weeks

I've been up to a few writerly things, like going to my writing group, editing bits of my novel, and I wrote two flash fiction challenge pieces. Apart from that, I took part in #writingchat on twitter on Wednesday evenings and that has been my lot. Why? Usual kinda stuff got in the way, like the day job, my exercise plan and spending time out. Yes, time out.

I'm getting itchy feet, it's not that I'm bored, I just like to have something fresh thrown into the mix now and again. When the itchy feet strike, I usually satisfy myself  by doing other writerly stuff. Like listening to podcasts on the craft. Or I'll check out some great blogs. Or I'll go and do something else connected with the arts, like visit a gallery, or a museum, or I'll take myself out on a long walk.


I love learning new things, and as we draw ever nearer to Autumn, I'm thinking maybe I'll go along to a workshop, or a writing convention, or perhaps find a class. However finding good providers in itself is a challenge. There are many online things around, but I never quite feel comfortable handing my cash over to some anonymous website. I'll have to think hard, before I make any decisions. If anyone knows of anything worthwhile going on out there, do tell...

Yesterday was a most enjoyable day. Had breakfast with my writing buddy, it's been a while since we caught up, and we had quite a bit to talk about over the bacon and eggs. Then it was my turn to chair at the writing group. It was a good session, everyone is passionate about their writing we heard lots of interesting stories, and the critique flowed.

Then off to lunch with several of the group, where we reminisced about years gone by and what fun we've had in the past. It was like a tonic, we laughed as we remembered,  and I got to thinking, we're making memories everyday. What happens today, will be history tomorrow. There is a small win in every day, if you look hard enough for it. And that is what I'm going to try and do in the week ahead. Look for wins.

Here are a couple of podcasts I've listened to this week. Do click on the links and have a listen, they'll make you smile, and maybe you'll learn something too.

The Worried Writer

The Joined Up Writing Podcast

What have you been up to? What does the coming week have in store for you? Do let me know...

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've had a very nice couple of weeks, Maria. Thanks for the links to the podcasts, I'm going to check those out later and I shall look for the win every day :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teresa, I'm sure you'll find them. Those podcasts are really useful, and can be downloaded easily onto devices so you can multi-task whilst listening. Sure makes housework less of a chore, but my favourite time is when I go out for a walk.

      Delete
  2. 'There is a small win in ever day' I love that, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh there is Wendy! Yesterday I cooked a new recipe for the first time, and everyone in the family said how enjoyable it was...now thats a win!

      Delete
  3. It seems to be theme at the moment with a few of us, Maria, that we have taken or needed time out! I love the start of autumn and like to get organised then so maybe summer is for doing other things and taking stock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, I am beginning to think like that too, perhaps next year I'll take July and August off, or just blog once a month. But then I would miss you all too much...

      Delete
  4. Itchy feet, eh? Maybe that's what I'm getting. Not sure what else to call this kind of creative restlessness I'm experiencing at the moment.
    Tell you what: if I find a couple of good cons I'll let you know. Maybe we could both go to one if time suits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan, or I was thinking maybe I need to take up some other creative pursuit. Like knitting, or those adult colouring books. But then there would be even less time to write! I don't know what the answer is there, but i do think you have to answer your creative callings...

      Delete
  5. I get a similar feeling every year as summer draws to a close. I feel ready for the change of season, but at the same time guilty for having that feeling because our summers are short enough. Looking forward to a local book/writing festival at the start of next month. Hopefully that will get me on the right track for a productive Autumn. Wishing you plenty of 'wins'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like fun Christine, you'll have to let me know how you get on...

      Delete
  6. Like Christine, I get a bit unsettled as the seasons turn. I always think New Year's Day should be 1st September: a throwback to the academic calendar, I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now there's an idea...I could go for that. I love the smell of Autumn too, there is just something about it.

      Delete
  7. I think we can all relate to that weird feeling we get as another season rolls around, Maria, and I think you are tackling it the right way - by being positive and looking for new inspiration. The courses are a great idea, and I appreciate you mentioning our humble Joined Up podcast. For the record The Worried Writer is brilliant.

    I've also found inspiration in a couple of books - the brilliant non-fiction graphic book (a genre I was previously unaware of) called 'Out On The Wire' by Jessica Abel and Haruki Murakami's book on Writing and Running.

    Keep eating the Brain food and good luck with the exercise.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!