_

Pages

Sunday, 9 August 2015

Topsy - Turvy - 9th August 2015

Image Credit - Pixabay
Do you know what the definition of Topsy-Turvy is? It means with the top downward and the bottom up, or confused or disordered to put it another way. That was me last week. No matter how I tried to right my week, it tipped back up again.

My writing has suffered, output has been poor. Exercise marginally better, I got to the pool a couple of times, went for a walk twice, and went to Pilates again. And you know how I said I wanted to have fun, well, I had some, but there is definitely room for improvement.

Friday teatime I went off to Derbyshire for the weekend, much later than expected, but at last, free from the ties of a busy working week. After surviving the single track road up to the site, with the caravan pitched, we were ready to B-R-E-A-T-H-E, and start the weekend.

I'd booked an Adult Only site (nothing seedy honest!) a just for grown ups refuge, and my goodness it was quiet, and tranquil. Bliss! Being so far up in the hills, there was no phone signal, no wifi and a very dodgy TV signal. Being peaceful was forced upon us, and it was like a tonic. An added bonus was that the local pub picked you up and took you down into the village to drink and eat in their establishment, and then they took you home again. An excellent idea, and a system that guaranteed our custom for the weekend.

We woke to a glorious Saturday morning, a proper summer's day, and not wanting to waste a minute, we decided to travel into Ashbourne, a thriving market town, where we explored, and stopped off for coffee as you do, and we visited one or two of the many independent shops. The streets are set out in a medieval pattern, there are many alleys and yards tucked away just waiting to be discovered.

One of the highlights of the weekend, was discovering a Vintage and Crafters fair going on inside the town hall. There were many different kinds of stalls within, with everything from origami kits to candle making, but the one that caught my eye was a gentleman making fountain and roller ball pens. I was fascinated, looking at all his very beautiful and unique designs. Quite perfect for writerly types. I didn't purchase anything, because I was spoilt for choice. Instead I tried several pens, and decided I couldn't make my mind up  between a fountain pen, or a roller... so I'm definitely going back. I was delighted to learn he's regularly there.

One thing I did very well whilst in Derbyshire was sleep, so well in fact, that I lost many hours. I must have needed it, and the weekend, was after all, about being restful. So there we are, my excuse for not getting on with my writing.

This week then...

Having fun has to go to the top of the list according to my blog buddy Julia Thorley who made the comment on my last post. So, Julia, I'll see what I can do about improving that over the weeks ahead.

I'll kick start my writing and be back in the groove very soon, and of course I'll be trying to keep up with penning words little and often again.

That was my week, now tell me about yours? Or what's in store for you?

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've given yourself an excuse to revisit Ashbourne: it's where I was born, although I was raised in nearby Uttoxeter, just over the county border. I look forward to reading next week what fun you've been having. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recharging your batteries in such a nice location can only be a good thing. See it as taking a run-up, ready for the high-jump - you take a couple of steps backward and then jump higher than you have before. Apologies - that's the best metaphor I can come up with this morning!

    Either way, keep having fun and the work will follow when it's ready.

    Kelly's Eye - Writing, Music, Life

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an AMAZING holiday away. I can't imagine being so far away from all things electrical . . . well I can, but LARPs don't count, because they are anything and everything but restful! ;-)
    I hope you're feeling a little more recharged and ready to hammer another week of topsy-turvy ness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that pub has a great business model. It sounds like a perfect weekend.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!