_

Pages

Sunday, 20 September 2015

Change Your Morning Habits




Hands up if you start your day with writing?  I've tried before and once I get going, it works well. However, I've got out of the habit over the summer so it's time to try again.

Why do it?

  • It's quiet, so there won't be any interruptions. 
  • Work hasn't begun. Need I say more?
  • Real life hasn't got underway, and writing hasn't got pushed to the back of an ever growing list of things to be done. No matter how well you plan, if your writing time is in the evening, you may find it gets shelved due to real life stuff over running. 
  • Once done, you can rest easy that you've done your daily writing. 
Tips 

  • Wake up earlier, but do it in stages. Start slow by setting the alarm back in fifteen minute increments until you feel you have enough time. Thirty minutes of writing can be very productive when there are no distractions. 
  • Know what you're going to write the night before. Otherwise you'll waste time.
  • Resist the urge to check Twitter, FaceBook or emails! 
  • Go to bed earlier. 


The hardest thing is starting (isn't it always!) It won't feel natural at first, they'll be that early morning confusion, so it might help to start with ten minutes journal writing. After the second week it should start to become a habit.

What do you think? Will you give early mornings a try? 

In other news, last week went off the rails and Plan B days were required on more than one occasion. I'm refusing to stress about it though...I had a busy working week, which is another reason to do my writing early each day. 

14 comments:

  1. I was happily slobbing in my dressing gown, sipping tea and browsing the internet when your post popped up. I nearly didn't click in case I got a telling off!

    I tried 'morning pages' which didn't work for me. I do need a cup of tea and a few minutes to adjust. You're right though that if we put off writing until we've done other things then we might not get round to it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I felt a little bit like that too, and then I saw the effect it has had on other writers that I know, and I decided to give it a go....Five days in now, and I have surprised myself and found it easier than I thought it would be. More about that in the next post.

      Delete
  2. Early morning writing doesn't work for me, but it's not because I'm lying in bed. After the necessary yoga, ablutions and breakfast, once I've switched on my computer I need to listen to the previous night's Archers, have one game of Hearts and then I'm off and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia if that works for you, stick with it...I think because my work and life is so changeable on a day to day, and I don't have many regular rituals, I needed to do something different.

      Delete
  3. If I could get up early, I would give those morning pages a try, but although I'm often awake, I'm not awake enough to get out of bed (lazy in other words!). Thank you for this wake up call (sorry!). I hope it goes well for you and I might just be inspired to change my habits xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone Teresa, and if you can find the time in the day you probably don't need to do it. I'm not getting up that early really. Just after 6am, and I am going to bed about an hour earlier than usual. We'll see how it goes.

      Delete
  4. It doesn't work for me! I need breakfast and a shower and I simply have to hang out the washing (weather permitting). However, I do listen to my muse in that early morning half-awake time when I'm still under the duvet, because that's when she often whispers in my ear. Usually I can recall what she said and commit it to the laptop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is good Christine...my memory is terrible!

      Delete
  5. I definitely agree about writing first thing but I've got into bad habits (again) by going on the Internet first. One more thing to organise for autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been very strict with myself Rosemary, but I'm unsure how long it'll last...

      Delete
  6. There's a Twitter group called #5amwritersclub that you might want to join. I don't want to commit to being up that early--plus, I think it's 5am eastern time, which is 4am here!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh heck! That is far too early for me Stephanie, I might have to start my own 6am group though...thank you for stopping by...

      Delete
  7. This could only work for me on days I don't have to be anywhere at a specific time (eg: work) I hate writing to a deadline unless it's a competition. Working on a story or my novel needs to be fairly open ended.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lindsay, I work full-time so I know what you mean...it's tough, and if you're dealing with family as well, then it's nigh on impossible to get peace and quiet to get on with your word craft.

      I've got a love hate relationship with competition deadlines. Good to motivate you to get it written, but then when you are unsure about the story, and you start chaging things, it's horrendous even trying to catch up. I always end up feeling resentful

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!