_

Pages

Sunday, 13 September 2015

New Beginnings

Original Image - Pixabay
Lots to report since my last post, some much needed 'me' time, some days away, and lots of catching up. It's been wonderful. What a difference a bit of downtime makes to everything. Managed a lovely day relaxing with my friends at the spa, and went off to London with hubby for some general sightseeing too.

Have done a little editing, writing and planning on my own stuff as well as some edits for a buddy, which I've really enjoyed doing.

In my last post, I talked about small wins, so I've been deliberately looking out for them over the last few weeks. Here they are...

  • The smell of freshly laundered washing blowing dry on the line.
  • A good cup of coffee, a quiet cafe, a pen and my writers notebook.
  • Lying in bed till after 8am
  • Listening to an audio book and getting the chores done too!
  • Losing one and a half pounds at Slimming World 
  • Gin O' Clock
  • Walking briskly through the park
  • Discovering new places
  • Carrot cake at Tate Modern
  • A hot bath with lots of lovely bubbles
I hope you've had lots of wins too?

In other news, me and hubby took Dear Daughter, to University today, along with the contents of her bedroom! I've lost a daughter and gained a bathroom, someone at work pointed out. It wasn't traumatic for either of us.  No wailing, no hanging onto each other, no drama at all, but there were hugs and kisses.

We're both independent, I had to be from an early age, and I wanted her to be able to manage herself, and feel confident. Today reminded me of her first day at school. Gosh! Where have those years gone?

All the other children were clinging onto their mummies in the playground, and there was my DD trotting in without a backward glance. Bold as brass. Off she went to her new adventure.  I will admit to having a lump in my throat. There wasn't a phone call from the school for me to come and collect her, she just got on with it. Settled in and made the most of her situation.

It's a massive change for everyone, everything is new and alien to her at the moment, but I'm sure she'll manage once she's found her way around, in fact as I type this, she has probably met her new flat mates, and between them I imagine they've planned a party, or started one! Or at least put the world to rights. A new life begins for her, so it's fitting that I take this opportunity to make a few changes too.

There will be writing, there will be healthy eating, and there will be some new habits, because these are all things I want to do. Blimey, I can do things I want to do now? I can't quite remember life before offspring.

Mid September can be a little odd, neither summer nor autumn. Sandals or boots? Salad or hotpot? We know the darker evenings are just ahead of us, when we'll close the curtains at five o'clock, and put the clocks forward soon, but  we're not quite there yet. We're in-between.

The week ahead then?

Well, the Phoenix Writers Subs Club has been out of action July and August, so I'll be breathing new life into it again at the weekend, so I have to prepare. Gather all the latest competition news, and details of any writing opportunities etc. Contact the members and then get myself up and running too.

Today, I've made myself a timetable, and I shall try and fall in with my plans. It's Plan A, but I've also thought about Plan B, because life has a habit of happening and changing the best laid plans doesn't it?

Enjoy the week ahead, and do let me know what you're up to...

22 comments:

  1. I didn't realise your daughter was going off for uni. Congrats to her (and to you!) and I know you'll both have an awesome experience in the next few years.

    Looking out for the small victories is certainly something I should be doing more of and this post of yours is a timely reminder. I remember a couple of years ago I made myself a 'good things' jar and just filled it with all the little things throughout the year which were 'good' or 'goals' or 'wins.' I'm thinking of restarting it again just because it forces me to actually think about all the good I've done and/or experienced. Have you ever done something like that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The Happiness Jar - I did it for a year starting in January and ending on new years eve. My jar was filled with small notes, ticket stubs, etc which I folded in half. It was great to open them up and look back on all the adventures I'd had during that year, on the eve of a new one...

      Delete
  2. It's a good idea to look for the 'small wins' and appreciate them. I've had some myself - and a couple of medium sized ones too quite recently.

    The writing group I belong to is having a fresh start in a new location tomorrow. I have a feling that might prove to be a good thing, even though it's not so easy for me to get to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A change is as good as a rest, I always say...and you might even attract some interesting new members. Nice to know you're having wins Patsy... :-)

      Delete
  3. Glad you have enjoyed some 'wins' always important to remember those small things in life that bring a smile to our face. We took our youngest daughter back to university yesterday too. It's her second year so not quite as daunting as last year. Missing her already, though I know she will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Suzanne, and some of the smaller things mean so much, and are remembered the longest time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great post, Maria, and lovely to read about your 'small wins'. Good luck with getting the writing group up and running again. BTW, I'm a fellow SW member with a two week holiday ahead... oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holidays are difficult Jan, but I'm sure you'll manage, it's a good plan to follow...

      Delete
  6. What a lovely, newsy post, Maria. 'Me' time is always a very good idea to refresh you in every way. Glad your daughter was so happy to go off to Uni - you have a very good attitude to it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary, I thought I'd mix it up a bit...

      Delete
  7. I loved reading your small wins, although some weren't so small. Walking briskly through the park - I particularly loved seeing that one.
    My kids/grandkids have been a mixture with going to school - the teacher used to have to prise one of my sons away from me sobbing his heart out. It is a great feeling when they bounce in happily without so much as a backward glance. I hope you are enjoying your free use of the bathroom :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your grandchildren always make me smile Teresa, when you write about them on your blog...

      Delete
  8. Lovely to hear about your small wins list, Maria.

    I think it's harder on us when our children grow up and go to university for the first time- and it does seem to get easier the second year. Enjoy the freedoms it brings while you can, as the Christmas break soon comes round. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I can imagine Christmas being a huge chore...but it will be nice to have her home then. :-)

      Delete
  9. It's not easy when the kids 'fly the nest'. Enjoy the space but keep the washing machine ready for weekend visits! I wonder if the carrot cake came after the weight loss?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the carrot cake came afterwards, BUT, it was also after a ten mile walk. :-)

      Delete
  10. What a lovely post, Maria. When number one son went off to uni, his dad and little brother took him, because it was the first day of my yoga diploma training course. I felt very guilty at the time, but there was nothing to be gained by my going. The 'lads' managed just fine without me and NOS coped as he always does, without a hint of drrama. Number two son has chosen a different route, and seeing him off into his first 'proper' flat was somehow more final that if he had moved into halls. They've both moved out, but keep coming home for meals. I love the idea of making a timetable for yourself, but heed to the warnings of an old boss of mine: The best laid plans of mice and men are filed away somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, Half way through the week I was on Plan B! You have to smile... :-)

      Delete
  11. The best is : Listening to an audio book and getting the chores done too!
    Nothing like having music in the background while doing your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Must choose a new book later as I'm all out...listened to everything. :-) Thank you for stopping by...

      Delete
  12. I think I lost track of you for a while, but great to read your positive thoughts. As for kids, they have a habit of coming home again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! DD has been back twice in the last three weeks. The last time she came in towing a huge suitcase of dirty washing. At least she did that herself.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!