_

Pages

Sunday, 27 September 2015

Punch Your Way Through

Autumn - Image Credit -  Pixabay


Last Monday I started doing my writing first thing in the morning. How did I do? What I learnt is that it is possible to get the words down, my mind wasn't busy as my day hadn't begun, and there were no interruptions.

You definitely have to go to your bed earlier to make up for the sleep you've lost, because as the week goes on you feel more exhausted, and by the fourth day, I was shattered by teatime, even though I'd been going to sleep a whole hour earlier, and only getting up fifteen minutes earlier. It may just be a shock to the system, and I'm hoping my body clock will reset itself this coming week.

There is a great sense of achievement that the writing is all done and out of the way, so I don't feel stressed and worried about how I'm going to fit it in after a hectic day. I feel happier.

I started out on Monday morning with ten minutes journalling, thinking, I needed a warm-up, but after Wednesday I ditched the idea as I wanted to get straight onto the new short story I'm writing. My output ranged from fifteen to forty minute sessions, depending on the other things I had on my timetable for the day. If I needed to hit the road early for work, then it was a short session.

The point of it all is that my writing has moved priority, it is now the first thing on my list each weekday, instead of the last. As for the quality, I have to admit it's not been my best work this week. It started well, the characters came to me easily, I knew their problem, and what to do about them, but I haven't been able to make it work!

Usually, whilst I'm going about my day, the solution comes to me, but it hasn't happened with this story, not yet anyway. So, I'll have to punch my way through, look at the whole thing this week, and find a solution.

The beginning is fine, but the middle is a mess, it's sagging and I need to brainstorm it. I know the end of the story after all, so why is the middle such a problem? If anyone has any tips, shout them out, I'm open to any ideas.


It was busy last week, but I was able to get some stuff done for myself too. I've changed the colour of my hair for Autumn, gone are the blonde highlights, replaced with shades of red and blonde lowlights, which I really like. I've lost two and a half pounds at Slimming World, and have started to notice the difference around my waist, so that is positively encouraging. Even more encouraging is I'm loving the food!

I cooked a fabulous new recipe in the last week too, Mac and Cheese, which is a variation on the traditional macaroni cheese, made with grated courgettes,  red onion and cottage cheese. Very tasty indeed.

What does the week ahead hold? More of the same, I shall continue with my early morning words, and I'll try and sort this story out too!

What are you up to?

21 comments:

  1. That sounds very positive, Maria. Worth persevering a while longer in the hope of adjusting to the new routine, I should think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's going much better than I expected Patsy!

      Delete
  2. Sounds as if the early mornings are working for you, Maria. As to your story problem, I'm not sure what to advise. I've read plenty of good tips regarding sagging middles in novels, but stories, I'm sure, need a different approach. If I have a problem with a story then I go back to the beginning and keep asking myself questions about what's happening and why, and if I can't find answers for the questions then usually I change the story idea. That Mac and Cheese sounds lovely - and good for one's middle - sagging or otherwise. :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine, I've been following your advice for the last three mornings and it is improving. I just need to change something, but can't quite put my finger on it yet...I shall keep going.

      Delete
  3. Well done, Maria - as you know, I'm also loving the morning writing and, like you, I've found it's really increased my motivation and desire to get back to the page.

    With regards trudging through the difficult middle of the story - if you know how it ends, then why not skip ahead and write that first? Then you can just tie up any loose ends, discard any useless threads and voila! the story will be complete. Good luck!

    The Joined Up Writing Podcast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a bit better now. :-) I won't quit yet!

      Delete
  4. You are doing so well, Maria. I haven't been able to get myself up any earlier - must try harder :-) Congratulations on the weight loss too xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, the weight thing was hard to start off with, but I have settled to it now and hopefully I can keep going...writing wise, I feel much better for writing early in the morning.

      Delete
  5. I keep meaning to get up earlier and start writing - for the same reasons as you. It just doesn't seem to happen :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a try Wendy, but do lower yourself in gently. Try setting your alarm fifteen minutes earlier for the first few days and get writing as soon as possible.

      Delete
  6. That sounds great Maria, really glad that the morning writing is working out well and I'm sure the exhaustion is just a change to routine and will settle down. Your hair is lovely in those tones, you look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also tried getting up a bit earlier last week, actually setting my alarm, which I haven't done on a regular basis since I gave up having a 'proper' job. I was surprised that not only did I have a much more productive start to the day, but I also found the day went more slowly (in a good way). It's all gone to pot this week, because I have a cold and it's as much as I can do to get up at all. *Whimper*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it went well Julia, and sorry to hear you have a cold. Hopefully, it will pass quickly and you can have another go at early mornings.

      Delete
  8. I write best in the morning too - before all the distractions of the day start calling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a lot more focused than I am Maria, so we'll done for that. I'm not a serious writer. It's a hobby which I really enjoy. I am motivated by my writers' group and always produce a piece for homework, which sometimes gets sent somewhere with a successful outcome. But I can only settle down to work when I have completed the jobs for the day. So housework takes priority. I use it as my thinking time, so it's not wasted. Congratulations with your dieting success; not an easy thing to do, but a bit like writing as it's all about motivation. Good luck with everything and keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you nip over and do my housework Maggie? I like your plan, and I did used to do the housework first thing before going to work, now I'm writing, the housework gets slotted in with the odd five minutes on this job and that...

      Good to see you Maggie, thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. You've been getting so much done, Maria, well done. :-)

    We just need to find what works for each of us to get the most time for writing. You've clearly found your regime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have Carol, I am so happy to be back in the zone. :-)

      Delete
  11. The morning is the only productive time for me and I agree - it takes some adjusting. Whenever the middle of my story sags (I did write whenever I have a saggy middle - but that would be always and only exercise or plastic surgery will get rid of that :)) .... I throw something unexpected in the mix; another obstacle to content with. That usually works. Wishing you another great week filled with writing and no saggy bits :) All the best.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!