_

Pages

Sunday, 3 January 2016

On Your Marks, Get Set, Go!

Me Time!  - Maria A Smith

And we're off!
Over the last week I've had lots of thinking time. Life hasn't been the usual mad hectic rush, however I'm all too aware it will be again soon. It's been lovely to be able to catch up with family and friends, and if I'm honest, I'd love to have another week's holiday to continue.

If you're a frequent visitor to my blog you'll know my week runs from Sunday to Saturday, so yesterday was effectively the end of the week for me.  This is the way I like to look at my progress.

Yesterday, I reflected on what I'd done in the last seven days, and because I'd been jotting things down, I  was quite surprised with myself. Okay, I'm on holiday, so things are a little different.

What I did in the last week;

Met a writing buddy for breakfast - Lovely to catch up and share plans for the year ahead.

Cooking - Two new recipes cooked, and they both went down well.

Music - Listened to loads of different stuff! Really enjoyed myself, and even had a bop around the kitchen too!

Phoenix Writers - Our first session of 2016, good company and some interesting words read. Lots of helpful critique.

Lunch - After the Phoenix meeting several of us went for refreshments at the local cafe bar.

Writing - Yes there was some! Lots of blogging. A 250 word piece of flash fiction, and another which has sort of ran away with me. I will have to reign that one back in this week.
#writingchat was full on last week too, nice to see some newbies. Don't forget, you can find us on Wednesday evenings 8pm-9pm UK time. Just search on the hashtag #writingchat

Reading - A bit of this and that, which I haven't done for ages.

Quiet  - Time to relax without interruption, could be called thinking time too. Where? At the pool, then I crept into the steam room and enjoyed the silence.

Menus - What's for tea Mum? Well, actually, I can tell you because 'Super Woman' has planned all the meals for the next ten days. In my attempt to stick to the Slimming World plan I'm taking every precaution to not sabotage myself by not planning what I'm eating ahead of teatime. It simplifies shopping too.

Menu Planning - Maria A Smith

What I didn't do so well;

Sleep - That old chestnut! I stayed up and watched old movies. My OWN fault.

The week ahead;

Writing 

  1. Daily words/rewrite/edits
  2. Interview for the Joined Up Writing Podcast
  3. Flash fiction challenge for the writers group.
  4. Read and critique a fellow writers manuscript
  5. #writingchat
  6. Phoenix Writers Meeting 
  7. Organise Dropbox
  8. Blog Post

Health
  1. Sleep (Off to bed before 10.30pm at least twice) 
  2. Pilates Personal Training (one to one) session
  3. Pilates class
  4. Slimming World session
  5. Walking
Just For Fun
  1. Spend time doing something different
That's the plan, but of course they'll also be whatever else happens. Opportunities are everywhere! Especially, if you keep your eyes open and don't let them whizz by...

Do share your plans for the week ahead, I love hearing what you're all doing. 

24 comments:

  1. You've been busy, I'm very impressed! And you're very organised going forward as well. I think I need to try some meal planning and make a list or two. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CJ, If I plan my meals in advance, life is so much easier, because my mind doesn't wander all over the place in the afternoons thinking, what shall I cook for tea tonight! Shopping is easier, because I have to follow a list, and we get a good variety of decent meals.
      The down side is having to be super organised, and plan the menus and order the food. But you soon get into a pattern.

      Delete
  2. You sound as though you have all the bases covered. Any time for just sitting about? No, thought not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, does sitting in the jacuzzi count? ;-)

      Delete
  3. Making lists somehow clears the mind and relieves any panic about you need to do. I love routine because it's good to know what you should be doing each day. For me this includes domestic stuff which I won't bore you with. My writing class, Codsall Writers starts tomorrow. We have an excellent website run by one of our members. On Thursday I'm back to art class, so I need to think about what to draw. Reading and knitting will almost certainly slot in to my week. Good luck with this week's plans Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Maggie, list making works for me!
      Reading and knitting sounds like a good plan. I'd like to return to knitting one day.

      Delete
  4. Looks like you've had a very good week, Maria - I'm impressed at what you've achieved! I'm only getting into gear now but will have to be more organised from this week on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet if you sat and thought about it, you would have quite a list of things done too.

      Delete
  5. Planning things in advance is something I should do more of. I waste time and eat far too much pizza because I don't plan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it Patsy, start small... :-)

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year, Maria. Great planning. Wishing you continued success and lots of fun throughout the year. Do share some of your healthy eating recipes. I need a bit of help on that score :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nicola, I might just do that...be warned though, I only do savoury.
      Happy New Year!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like your new year is off to a wonderful start! :) A nasty virus hit me on the first and I've slept most of this year away. Not terribly exciting, I know! Here's hoping the rest of 2016 will be much healthier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Sorry to hear that...you'll soon be up and about, penning more stories and enjoying life again. Take care, and a Happy and Healthy New Year to you!

      Delete
  8. Impressively organised! I have found your blog - TICK. Listened to your interview, you media dahling. TICK
    Nice work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart I enjoyed the interview. Hope your week is going well too.

      Delete
  9. You've done so much this past week, Maria, I feel like a sloth compared to you. :)

    Planning clearly works for you, so well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not a sloth. You do much more than you think you do Carol. :-)

      Delete
  10. Hi Maria - you've been busy ... and planning certainly helps. Life does just get busy .. fitting all things in is tricky .. Happy New Year and enjoy life ahead of you - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Setting everything out in a list certainly shows how much you've done on a week, Maria. I spend an awful lot of time thinking about what I'm going to do but I have made a start on editing, gone back to the gym for my pilates classes and come away from SW motivated to shift a bit more weight. Plans are for more of the same next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well fancy that Jan, we have a lot in common, writing, Slimming World and Pilates! I hope you've had a great week. Onward and upwards...

      Delete
  12. Busy, sensible and so well structured as always. Good to see you are motoring again Maria. 2016 is out there and waiting. “New Year - a new chapter, new verse, or just the same old story ? Ultimately we write it. The choice is ours.” Have copied this and stuck it on the front of my diary as a reminder. I know I will need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like that...and so very true. Good luck with your 2016 goals Keith...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!