_

Pages

Sunday, 21 February 2016

5 Reasons You Should Be Writing




1. Writing is Relaxing - Chilling out is good for the soul, and the more relaxed you are the better the writing, so they say, so crack open the wine, put on some music, pick up the pen and start scribbling.

2. Remember the Good Old Days - Wouldn't it be great if you found a diary written by one of your grandparents. Tales of everyday life in their day. Stories about their relationships, their friends and family, and who they were as people. So start writing your own family history. Leave a record for future generations, or write your memoir!

3. Writing is Escapism  - And we all need to escape from time to time don't we? You can go anywhere you want to, and become anyone. What are you waiting for?

4. Write to Connect With Your Readers - Start a blog, or rekindle the one you've been neglecting. Maybe you've had an idea outside your usual writing remit. Go for it, start blogging your adult fairy stories, diaries of a bricklayer, or whatever else piques your interest.

5. Explain Something - Write a non-fiction article and educate us about bee keeping or knitting, or your travels around Ireland or wherever or whatever else takes your fancy.

There you are, 5 reasons you should be writing. I'm sure you can think of many more. 

Last Week

The novel is progressing, I adjusted the plan on Saturday afternoon. No more edits for now, it's time to read through the whole thing again and make sure each chapter is doing it's job, either moving the story forward or informing the reader. 

Good Things 
  • Caught up with  a friend for a G & T
  • Laughed out loud when I saw Ed Byrne at Curve Theatre as part of the Leicester Comedy Festival
  • Tea and cake and solitude
  • Stretch Class
  • Good advice from a writing buddy
The week ahead is a a new adventure and I'm looking forward to all that it holds. 
What are you up to? 

18 comments:

  1. I like writing and I like wine - but I can't manage the two together. Still, that spreads the fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you should go for it Patsy, could be so interesting!

      Delete
  2. Very good reasons, Maria! Hope your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Maria. This week, I'm catching up on my WIP. Took a break last week to do some needed writing exercises. So, I intend to relax and visit the lives of my characters and get them back on track. My aim is to complete the first draft of this novella by the end of the month - it's a bit of a tall order considering I just had a week off. But I'm motivated and hard at it :) Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're almost there now Nicola...

      Delete
  4. If I have a worry or there is something I need to say, I find it very therapeutic to write it down first. Very often this is enough. Once written down the problem somehow doesn't seem so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea and cake and solitude sounds like a very fine thing. And it's nice to have a writing buddy. Great reasons to write I think. I often think I haven't done any writing, but I always have done something, just not things that are on my to-do list. Wsihing you a good week Maria. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coincidentally, that also happens to me!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for posting these timely reminders. I'm struggling to find any time to be creative at the moment. Surely I can't need a holiday so close to Christmas! As to what I'm doing: I've just written some website copy for a client only to find I've gone off in completely the wrong direction. Back to the drawing board.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh! Hope you can sell that somewhere else Julia, and good luck with getting your copy right for that client.

      Delete
  7. I'm totally agree with your reasons. Writing concentrates mind. Writing improves our memory. Writing shows a result. All of them are about satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly are Sophie, thank you for visiting the blog.

      Delete
  8. I'm taking your advice, Maria. I know nothing about bricklaying but my new blog 'Swimming with man-eating sharks' will be available soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That made me laugh out loud Wendy! Wonder what sort of interest that would attract?

      Delete
  9. I love writing and wining :-) But if I overdo the wine, I fall asleep! A lovely positive post as always from you :-) xx

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!