_

Pages

Sunday, 13 March 2016

Our Feathered Friends


March Snowdrops - Maria A Smith

In the last week I've noticed the birds are singing again, a sure sign that Spring is almost sprung! 
I went out for a short walk this afternoon - it was lovely. The air was fresh and clean, and I took my time looking up into the bare branches to see if I could spot any of our feathered friends. 

I wasn't disappointed.  I saw a couple of Moor hens exploring around the sides of a pond, a robin sitting high above me, basking in the afternoon sunshine, and a pair of blue tits too, as well as a very fine blackbird. 

It gladdened my heart to see the birds, and made me feel very lucky to be able to get out and about without too much difficulty. 

Blackbird - Pixabay 

I couldn't get close enough with my camera to shoot the birds, but I'm allowed to use these great images from Pixabay on my blog to tell the story of my afternoon. If you aren't familiar with  Pixabay, all their images are free of copyright, as they are creative commons in the public domain. They are supplied free of charge because people like myself, who take pictures, but also use images have donated them.  

You can donate money each time you download an image, but it's not compulsory. I do every now and again. They suggest the price of a cup of coffee. 

It's very easy to upload your own images, should you wish to contribute and they are all vetted for quality and suitability before they are put onto the site for download. Not all of mine get through, as they aren't good enough, or perhaps it is because they are overrun with certain topics.

Interestingly, one of my tea and cake images has been downloaded over three hundred and fifty times!

Coloured Bark - Maria A Smith

The image above is mine, and I'll offer to share it with Pixabay if it's good enough, because who knows they might be short of images of coloured bark and if I can help someone who needs such a picture on their blog, or for an article, then that makes me happy, and I'm giving back.

My walk ended with a pot of tea and a slice of cake, and I was going to snap a picture, but I was so hungry I forgot, and had licked up every crumb before I remembered.


Blue Tit - Pixabay
Last week  - A bit of an odd week, the ankle slowed me down but I managed to do some flash fiction and I went to my writing group on Saturday, and offered feedback on the other writers manuscripts.

The Week Ahead - I need to step it up a gear as I've a few things I really need to get done.
Such as putting together a new revised plan for working on my novel. A flash fiction piece and a new 500 word short story, which MUST be ready to read on Saturday morning.
No pressure then.

Do stop by and leave me a comment - I love to hear what you've all been doing. Catch you soon...

12 comments:

  1. Hi Maria - the weather has helped hasn't it .. and the birds are singing wonderfully loud now - it's great to see them around too. Love the photos and the information re Pixabay ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hilary, I love Springtime and I want to get out and about as much as I can...

      Delete
  2. I wasn't aware of Pixabay, so thank you for that info. Spring must be on its way as the milder temperatures have reached the North and my dear other half is going to remove the cover from the garden bench today (big moment). Good luck with reaching your goals this week, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that will be nice, you'll be able to sit and have a cuppa when the milder weather arrives for good.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos of yours, Maria. I've been hearing the birds more too - isn't it lovely to know the nights are getting lighter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes Rosemary, I can't wait! Although I'm chewing my lip over stripping off and uncovering my wobbly bits. I really need to get back on the healthy eating wagon.

      Delete
  4. A photographer as well as a writer - you're a woman of many talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love photography, but my heart belongs to writing.

      Delete
  5. Interesting info about Pixabay Maria, thanks for the tip. I've noticed the birdsong as well, it's wonderful isn't it. And the frogs are moving about in the pond as well, frogspawn soon I think. Good luck with this week's writing, I hope the words flow. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't heard of Pixabay, so that may come in very useful. Thanks Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer to use my own photos, but it's good to know of somewhere we can get images if we need them. I'm always horrified when people, especially writers and other creative types, seem quite happy to use anything they come across on the internet without giving a thought to other people's copyright.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aaaah, I love Pixabay! ^_^ Didn't realise you submitted photos there too. Great way to pay it forward. x

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!