_

Pages

Sunday, 1 May 2016

Hello May!

And so begins the fifth month of the year.

Did you know that in 1707 on this day the Acts of Union came into force? England and Scotland united to form the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Wales had already been part of England since the 1500's.

Calamity Jane, famous frontier woman was born on this day in 1852, an acquaintance of Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity could shoot like a man and drink like a fish! I imagine she was quite a character in her day. 

In 1953 a film musical was made loosely based on her life. I recall watching it several times during my childhood, and merrily singing along with Doris Day who played the lead role, with Howard Keel cast as Wild Bill Hickok. There were some great songs, including The Deadwood Stage, Secret Love and I Can Do Without You. 



On May 1st 1931, the Empire State Building was officially opened. It stood as the tallest building for almost 40 years. 

Of course May 1st is also May Day, a public holiday in the UK, we celebrate it on the first Monday in May. 

Now onto plans for the week ahead. Although, first I should say that making a plan last week really helped with my productivity, I got loads of stuff done! Every evening, I referred to my 'to do' list and  got on with the business of writing the next morning, steadily working through my list.

This week, I want to continue with my novel in the mornings, work on a new supernatural story, and write a 100 word flash fiction piece. 

Now I'm off to enjoy the first day of the month.

What will you be doing? 

22 comments:

  1. Oh what a lovely start to May - I love Doris Day.
    Glad your plan worked last week.
    Happy May Day :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy May Day to you too Teresa!

      Delete
  2. I loved watching Calamity Jane when I was a child, I knew all the words to the songs, and thought Howard Keel was gorgeous!

    I'm working tomorrow, sadly, but I enjoyed our town's May Fair yesterday - for which there was good weather. It's raining today :-(

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rain here today Annalisa, glad you had a good day at the May Fair, I haven't been to one of those in years. Not seen anything advertised around our parts...

      Delete
  3. I'm mostly pottering about today, but inspired by your post I've turned to 'The Pan book of Dates' from where I've learned that today is also the anniversary of the death of Neil Brodie in 1907: 'Canada's dirtiest man, who only bathed when ordered to do so by the law.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How disgusting! I do not like smelly men. Cleanliness is next to Godliness as they say. Interesting one that...

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed your Mayday information, Maria - used to love Calamity Jane! Have a good week with your writing plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange isn't it how things come back to us. memories triggered by something as simple as looking up a date in history. I love nostalgia.

      Delete
  5. I wrote two stories today, so I'll definitely be celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Patsy, you've been an industrious bee. Happy May day.

      Delete
  6. I've loved this film ever since it inspired me to tackle the school bully in my senior year. Emma Ashton

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, it's all about confidence as we were discussing earlier. Thanks for dropping by, catch you soon.

      Delete
  7. I have monthly goals which I set with my writing friend, Tracy. I find it works better for me than weekly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might progress to fortnightly, and see how that goes. Sounds like a good plan Wendy, and I've heard a rumour you do this over teacakes?

      Delete
  8. Glad to hear the planning is working well for you. I need to be a bit more disciplined as well I think. I hope you have a lovely bank holiday Maria. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope all your plans are still going well Maria. I've written two poems after being inspired by a visit from Staffordshire's poet laureate. I've sent one off for a critique from Writers' Forum, so know it will be an honest appraisal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done Maggie, and good luck with your submission!

      Delete
  10. Looks like May is going to be very productive, so keep it going, Maria. :-)x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, been a little tricky this week.

      Delete
  11. Best of luck with your writing plans, Maria-the supernatural story sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, not getting very far with the supernatural tale...still pondering a few ideas.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!