_

Pages

Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Try Something New

Maria A Smith

I got to thinking today, it's high time I tried something new, or did something I haven't done for a while. Like what?

Like going to a movie - Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie opens on July 1st and I really fancy going to see it. Some of you may recall it was an outrageously funny BBC sitcom, about Edina and Patsy, (Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley) two hard living, should-know-better fashionistas.

Like listening to David Bowie, Micheal Bubble, Annie Lennox and anyone else who inspires and entertains me. And makes me feel happy. Time to tune into You Tube, or search through my old MP3 collection.

Like hanging out wth people who make me laugh!  What was it Lord Byron said? Always laugh when you can - it is cheap medicine! Seriously, hanging out with people who make you happy is food for the soul.

Like challenging myself to take more pictures. It's time to capture some of my life in 2016, the things I see and do. I'll regret it if I don't do this one.

Like learning something new. Not sure what, but a change will do me good.

Other stuff I must address.

Definitely time to give FaceBook a wide birth for a while. I feel very very sad, and sickened at some of the things I've read in the last week. People who were friends two weeks ago, are now pitched against each other because they have a different point of view. Honest decent people being called racists, or thick, and the vile comments about people over the age of 60. I want to scream, BE NICE! For goodness sake, be nice to each other.

Overeating and lack of exercise - Yes, been feeling stressed for a few weeks, and suspect this is why I'm overeating lots of unhealthy stuff. As for the exercise, I need to get with the programme again. What programme? Oh yes, I need to make one.

Writing - I need to allocate more time to write.

So there it is. My thoughts thrown down before you.

Is it time you looked at your life plan for the rest of 2016?

24 comments:

  1. Half way through the year and a good time to take stock, Maria. Sometimes all we need to do is to take a few hours, days or even weeks to hit pause and re-evaluate where we are and where we want to go. It's nice to see that your list includes lots of things that make you happy - that's what's really important and it helps with that other thing too . . . being nice to others!

    Given your track record with planning your goals and achievements, I already know the rest of the year will be a successful one for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm making a new plan. Watch this space. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are a bit out of sorts this week, Maria. We all visit that place regularly and forget to just go do stuff we like! Taking a break from all the negativity that seems to be rife is a good choice. Laughter and fun are in order!!! Have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicola, enjoy your week. :-)

      Delete
  3. I agree, the referendum has definitely split the country in half. I try not to talk politics - but I've had to nod and smile a lot this past couple of weeks. People on both sides of the argument seem to be cross about it. Enjoy the film, and the music, and your friends, and ignore the grumpy people :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely going to get on with life Annalisa :-)

      Delete
  4. Is that it?! Baby steps, Maria. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is for this week Julia. :-)

      Delete
  5. There has rightly been a lot about the vile racism in the past few days, but very little about the ageism. OK, people haven't been violently abused about their age) but I'm sick of people claiming that baby boomers all voted out and having been the most privileged generation and all that stuff. I'm a boomer and there are many much younger than me (Baby-boom = 1946-64) and we're still working - not drawing our pensions or draining the NHS. Many didn't go to university (about 90% didn't)so didn't get endless free education, and have been working all their lives. Didn't have poncey gap years funded by their parents - shall I go on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your response made me giggle Lindsay, I just realised I'm a 'boomer' and of course still at the 'pit face' shovelling away. It'll be a long time before I draw a pension coz the goal posts keep moving!
      Onwards and upwards. :-)

      Delete
  6. Sometimes revisiting your plans and making adjustments- or new ones can be good. And treating ourselves kindly is essential.

    Facebook was not a nice place last week and I did actually unfriend someone because of their continual venom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was minutes away from deleting my account Carol...then common sense prevailed and I thought, hang on, this is ridiculous! So I'm taking a bit of a break from it, not that I'm big on it anyway.

      Delete
  7. It's always great to try something new, Maria, so I like your ideas! I was glad to be away while all the nastiness was flying about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I saw you were in Wales. I love Wales.

      Delete
  8. Hi Maria, nice to meet you and nice to see that so much of your post resonated with me. It's a timely reminder to take time out from all the recent 'horrors' and re-evaluate ones life every now and then.

    Susan at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so Susan...welcome to the First Draft Cafe :-)

      Delete
  9. I have heard good things about the Ab Fab movie. . . hope you enjoy it. Always good to keep challenging ourselves and try something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely want to go this month, have already asked a friend and she is up for it, so we are just sorting out a date now.

      Delete
  10. Hope you enjoy the movie, Maria. Doing something new or different is always good - as is laughter :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am committed to spending more time laughing Teresa... :-)

      Delete
  11. Change is as good as a rest as they say. My new thing this year was dumper truck racing (though I'm not sure I'd recommend it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that response made me smile. :-)

      Delete
  12. Maria, I can definitely recommend #Ghostbusters ridiculous nonsense brilliantly presented, had me laughing out loud & a fabulous distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will try and catch it Kay...thank you

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!