_

Pages

Sunday, 12 June 2016

What was I up to?

Russian Dolls - Maria A Smith


What was I up to this time last year? Or the year before, or the year before that? My memory is so bad these days I can't remember what I was doing last week! Let alone what I was up to last year.

I got to thinking it might be interesting to look at my previous blog posts, and see what life was like a few years ago. Have you ever looked back at your previous blog posts?

One year ago at around this time, the rain lashed down just the same as it has been doing here today. I had a goal list in operation, and by all accounts I was trying to stick to the plan. You can read about it here if you want to...The point is, I had a plan.

Two years ago, in 2014 I wasn't feeling much like blogging because I didn't post at all in June. Life is sometimes so busy, and I've come to realise, I can't do everything I want to do. I did blog in May though, and you can see here, by the tone of my words, it looks like I was very tired.

Three years ago in 2013, I wrote a post all about looking after myself. It makes interesting reading again now. See what I wrote here  - are you taking care of yourself?

Four years ago in 2012 I blogged about this and that, and I had clear goals, and a 'to do' list, and I was getting on with stuff and progressing. All was well.

In 2011 at around this time, I was involved with running a workshop at my writers group, and having fun too.

However,  the year before in 2010, blog posts were very scarce at the First Draft Cafe, in fact there were none between March and September. What was I doing? It's a shame, that I didn't record anything for prosperity.

This blog began in November 2009, hard to believe it's been going for almost seven years, and I love that I can look back and see what I was doing with my time over the years. Or what I wasn't doing.

Back to the present - So what have I been up to in the last seven days?

Writing, yes. Two hours which isn't a huge amount of time, but it's better than not doing anything. Truth is I've been terribly time poor and usually write early in the mornings, but I've had lots of very early starts recently which has prevented me from getting on with my rewrites. I've been getting home late too, feeling too tired to start any major edits.

I had a fun evening yesterday though when I went to see Joe Hill, the American author of horror, fantasy and science fiction. He was on the last night of his UK tour, signing his latest book The Fireman as well as doing a Q & A session too, at the Derby Book Festival. It was lively, interactive and fun! He had us singing, and laughing, and he answered a variety of different questions about his life as a writer.

The week ahead will be about continuing on with the rewrite. I'm planning to get on with it in the early morning, and keep to my plan, but suspect life will get in the way, and I may have to rearrange stuff. That's okay as long as I keep moving towards the target.

Have a good week folks.

P.S. In case you're wondering why I've used an image of Russian Dolls with this post, it's because I captured this image a few years ago, and it was high time I used it. No other reason, and good enough for me.

18 comments:

  1. I actually have "Make a plan" written on my to-do list. I really do need to find a direction and focus on it. Too much vague drifting and doing one thing then another, and I find that also means I don't use time as well as I could. Must try harder! Well done on having had a blog for nearly seven years, that's quite an achievement. And as you say, it's lovely to look back at the journey and see what you've done and where you've been. I'm always impressed at how you fit writing into your life, you're an inspiration Maria. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ, I'm determined to keep at it...
      You made me laugh when I read that you have 'Make A Plan' on your to-do list! I'm similar.

      Delete
  2. It's funny looking back at how things change over the life of a Blog isn't it.
    How wonderful to have seen Joe Hill (big fan here!) - he sounds so nice too!
    Hope the writing goes well this week :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joe Hill is a lovely bloke! I'm listening to The Fireman on Audible and it's a good story.

      Delete
  3. Think I need to work on setting myself some new goals as there are times I'm not sure whether or not I'm headed in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Patsy, I set goals and then change my direction. :-)

      Delete
  4. I really enjoy looking through my blog posts from years past. It's amazing how much I forget. :) One of these days, I'd really like to make a book out of all my blog posts. Almost as good as a diary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan! You should do it. :-)

      Delete
  5. so interesting to look bAck at what you were doing a year... two... Three... four years ago. It's prompted me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Enjoy the journey back in time. Who knows what ideas it might give you...

      Delete
  6. I sometimes look back at old posts - they are a great way of NOT having to remember things!

    I'm rewriting myself at the moment - some chapters are flowing easily, others come to a grinding halt as I stumble on a plot hole I hadn't noticed before. I'm in one of those holes now, hence some blog reading :-)

    The Joe Hill event sounds like it was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not going to talk about the rewrite - I'm having a major crisis with it!
      And you're right, by blogging about stuff, we don't have to remember it, and it comes to us as a surprise when we look back.

      Delete
  7. How interesting to look back. I'm time poor at the moment, too, which is why I'm so behind on my bloggery. I'm happy to say it's because I'm working hard, but I'm not doing a lot of creating. Maybe next week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me smile Julia, glad to hear you are busy working, but do try and take some time out to be creative. It's good for the soul.

      Delete
  8. Wow, seven years of blogging is impressive, Maria! I love looking back at old blog posts, is so interesting, and can't remember writing half of them. Hope you have a good week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I find it easy enough to make a plan, its sticking to it that is the hard part. Recently I reassessed my goals and set a weekly plan - I'm already two weeks behind! There's so much I want to fit in to my writing time and not enough time to do it - like you, life keeps getting in the way, but well done for the early morning stints, that's something I just can't do.

    You've inspired me to go and look at my older blog posts - I bet I was moaning about the same old things I am today!

    Good luck with your editing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We could be twins!
      Get stuck in - You're doing more than you think you are...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!