_

Pages

Sunday, 13 November 2016

Writing Feeds My Soul



Did you know that according to Twitter, it's World Kindness Day? I didn't, but then I haven't been on Twitter very much lately. Not because it's a time suck, more because there hasn't been any time to spare.

I haven't been doing quite as many writerly things lately. Instead, I've been out and about enjoying Autumn. It's been great to be outdoors, breathing in the fresh air. I love this season best. The trees turning from one colour to another, rich reds, bright yellows and dark golds, the earthy smells as the worms pull the fallen leaves deep under ground, and the last rays of sunshine on my face. Even the shorter days have their benefits, heralding the beginning of log fires and hot chocolate days ahead.

Walking is one of my passions, and I was determined to get out and see October unfold into November this year. It's been good, and has given me some space in my head again.

However, now it's time to change things around a bit. It's true that writing really does feed my soul and I'm most happy when I'm regularly putting words down. It feels good to write something every day, even just a few words. They don't all have to be on the novel in progress either.

In the last week, I've written a new monologue, edited some words, written a long letter to a friend, and joined in a writerly conversation on Twitter. I've responded to emails, and articles I've read on other writers blogs. I've taken part in a non-fiction writing workshop which entailed a lot of written exercises, and I've reviewed a book I've recently listened to and enjoyed. Each and everyone of the above fed my writer's soul, and made me happy and glad to be a writer.

Now's the time to batten down the hatches, make your writing space cosy, and surround yourself with all that you need to write. My goal for the week ahead is simply to write 'something' every day, and to buy some drinking chocolate, and to dig out my fleece throw.

Let me know what you're up to - do you change your writing habits with the seasons?

 And if you missed World Kindness Day, you can still celebrate and promote it today. Go on, make someone's day with a smile, a compliment, or a small deed.

18 comments:

  1. Love the idea of World Kindness Day! I too love autumn, Maria, and we're lucky it's been so dry so far, even up here, although it was very dreich and dark yesterday. Enjoy cosying up for winter and all the best for a creative time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the word 'dreich' Rosemary, not heard it used in everyday speak before. :-)

      Delete
  2. Lovely, I'm adding "buy some drinking chocolate" to my list of goals as well. I do find I have more energy in the autumn and winter. I have high hopes for the next few months, I really need to put in some effort, develop a writing habit and, well, become a writer. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a writer CJ! You write a blog don't you? And a very good one it is too. :-)

      Delete
  3. Headspace is so important and I'm glad to hear you've made a little room for creativity again. I think the goal of just writing something everyday is a good one for this time of year too. I'm trying to exercise in the fresh air everyday and it has already lifted my spirits and given me more creative energy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to hear you're getting out and about, I want to do the same, but the dark mornings and evenings put me off. I'm finding it harder to get going in the mornings too, so I'm making the most of weekends.

      Delete
  4. I missed World Kindness Day, so I hope I was kind to someone! I've been enjoying autumn too - I've seen the most amazing colours on the trees recently.

    Enjoy the hot chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been the best year for the colours for a long time. Perhaps because it has been so mild.

      Delete
  5. Think we all need World Kindness Day at the moment, Maria.

    Autumn is lovely, except when it rains on all the fallen leaves and it gets a bit slippery underfoot.

    Not much changes in my writing area during winter, except for the addition of fingerless gloves and a big wrap in case I need to warm up. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking about getting one of those wraps Carol...not tried wearing fingerless gloves.

      Delete
  6. I've just read Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert, in which she talks about the joy of creating for its own sake. This struck a chord, because sometimes I have an idea but don't follow it through because I don't know what it would be 'for', if you know what I mean. However, I've joined a writing group where we are given a prompt and have to write something - anything! - so there's no excuses. It's been very good for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our group does that every week. A 150 word challenge, it's fun, and challenging.

      Delete
  7. I try and regularly give myself time to 'fill up the well' - it's as important as writing (and sometimes just as enjoyable 😀)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like that analogy 'fill up the well' and agree it is important, although most of us feel guilty doing it.

      Delete
  8. I tend to write more in the winter than summer – that's probably due to there being less temptation to go out and do something else instead.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't have automn here in tropical country, and sometimes I envy the four seasons countries like yours. You can see the beauty of the nature changing its color.
    Anyway, it's rainy season here now. It's so calming and the air is fresher, we can enjoy rain daily at home, and when it stops, taling a walk outside is so nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hijriatul, you made me smile when I saw you had written 'we enjoy the rain daily' as here in the UK, we complain about the rain. We like the sunshine.

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!