_

Pages

Sunday, 8 January 2017

Hit The Ground Running - And Keep Going!



Last week I wrote my writing goals down for the year ahead, finish my novel, blog regularly, enter competitions and write some articles. If I say it quickly, my list doesn’t sound daunting does it? Truth is, a lot of work needs to be done, I’ll  have to project manage everything to keep on track.

I’ve written each goal down and worked out the steps needed to achieve them. In the last week I’ve spent time taking action. I’ve got myself a week to view diary, and written down what I need to do each day for the next two weeks. Being honest it’ll take me a while to get into the habit of fitting things in, shuffling stuff around, and generally getting back to normality.

We’re all full of good intentions, and change is hard, however, I believe we’re all capable of doing it, but it requires discipline and effort. And then of course stuff happens that we have no control over, so that has to be allowed for too.

Little and often works for me, I’ve broken everything down into manageable chunks.  My novel is being written in short bursts, in fact fifteen minutes a day is my target. Yes, really. This works better than doing a few hours and then not touching it again for a week. Why? Because the story remains fresh in my head if I connect with it every day.                                       

Most of us have dreams we want to realise, things we want to change in our lives, therefore we should never underestimate the power of intention. I’m only a week in, it’s early days, but if it doesn’t work out this way, I’ll change course and find another route. 

How Did My Writing Week Go? 

3 hours 20 minutes spent rewriting the novel
150 word Flash Fiction challenge done
Took part in #writingchat on Wednesday
Attended Phoenix Writers on Saturday
Wrote a blog post (400 words)
Wrote a book review on Amazon 

Other Stuff I Did 

Went back to work.
Lost 1lb Pound in weight!
Did two gentle exercise classes, Relax and Unwind and Stretching for Health
Had tea with friends
Won a £50 M & S voucher
Lost my new hat, and found it again.

Plans For The Week Ahead

More of the same on the writing front. I’ll also be trying out a beginners meditation class and deciding where to go this year with the caravan.

Have a great week - Let me know how the first week went for you? 

35 comments:

  1. That's a great start to the year, Maria. Well done. My own year is starting slowly - maybe I should try small steps too. That way I will have something to celebrate instead of the feeling that I've failed to achieve the bigger plans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bea, Yes, do try it! That is one of the reasons I had to try the small steps approach.
      It takes a little organising but so far, so good, and I do get a sense of achievement.
      Good luck. :-)

      Delete
  2. You made me feel tired reading this! At this rate, I wouldn't be surprised if you achieved all your goals by the end of the year... go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy - I'm giving it my best shot. Slow and steady.

      Delete
  3. An inspiring post Maria, the 15-minute tip is a great idea. And it's good when new habits become second-nature. I'm wishing you success with your writing this year. Let's see what we can achieve! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a good first week! I made a flash-fiction comp submission and am rejigging a story for a another possible submission. Enjoyed the first #writingchat of the year! Certainly did not lose a pound although I need to! It's been a very strange week for me as my daughter and her husband have just set off (last Friday) on 4 months of travels and they go straight from South America to Australia where they will be living, so I'm a bit bereft at the moment. I find it hard to write when I'm tired and the emotion has taken its toll! So I'm focusing on other creative activities like sewing. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Lindsay, I get the emotional rollercoaster thing, you are pleased for them but also missing them like mad. Good idea to have a change and sewing is supposed to be therapeutic too.
      I find cake helps but I've promised myself I'll cut right back on it.

      Well done you on the submissions. You have to be in it to win it don't you? :-)
      Have a great week, and I hope I'll catch you on Twitter for #writingchat

      Delete
  5. You're off to a great start. I hope you save that M&S voucher to treat yourself when you reach some of the bigger goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what I'll spend it on yet, but yes, I will put off using it until I get something big achieved.

      Delete
  6. Sounds as if you got off to a good start, Maria - much better than me! All the best with you plans for 2017.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll soon catch me up Rosemary! :-)

      Delete
  7. Breaking each goal into smaller steps is a great idea, I think. Something such as 'finish the novel' won't be accomplished in a day, but you might be able to divide it into sections which can be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great start to the New Year. Small steps is definitely a good idea. As is breaking things down month by month so that it is achievable. Am off to follow your good example.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda, hope you get your goals sorted.

      Delete
  9. Great post, Maria. I am trying to get back my creative discipline and I love the 15 minute burst of writing your novel idea - I think I will adopt this one myself! Best of luck with your writing goals throughout 2017

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vikki, great to see you here. Happy 2017, hope you can get back into the stride quickly.

      Delete
  10. Well done Maria. Sounds like a great first week! I have fewer goals this year. I completely agree about the value of touching on the novel little and often - it keeps the momentum up. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've done quite a bit in that week, Maria.

    It's been a slow week with various appointments and disruptions, so only a little writing done. But I'm determined to get on this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every little helps Carol - have a good week. :-)

      Delete
  12. I have a folder of 'stuff' labelled: Stil To Be Placed Somewhere. I'm going to send at least one item somewhere every week - because nobody's going to publish stuff that is still on my computer. Good luck with your targets, and enjoy the meditation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Julia, that is a good idea. Happy hunting... :-)

      Delete
  13. I can't complain! Have made progress towards goals. But today will be a R&R day following a shock yesterday. Need time to come to terms with it. It is a legacy in a will from a recently deceased relative. But no matter what, tomorrow is back to normal! I always give myself 24 hours to deal with emotional shocks, then got to get going again. All too easy to wallow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get back on track Ingrid. Hope things settle quickly.

      Delete
  14. You certainly have hit the ground running, Maria! I think breaking things into smaller, more manageable chunks is a great idea. Glad your found your hat :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you Teresa, I love the hat, it's purple and has a big fluffy pom pom. Was very upset when I left it behind in a changing room locker.
      Luckily, a member of staff recalled seeing me wearing it and put it somewhere safe until I came back for it.

      Delete
  15. Thought I left a comment yesterday but obviously not! You're making a very good start, Maria, and I do hope 2017 is a happy, healthy and successful year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your writing goal posts, Maria-very inspiring! I hope to complete my work in progress in 2017 and start another, we'll see. Best of luck with your writing goals in 2017 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anita, best of luck to you too.

      Delete
  17. Sounds like you are organised, Maria! My writing goal is to be more efficient - Joanna Penn (my motivating Guru)has guided me in the right direction with her stone analogy (super podcast for planning). Wishing you lots of success throughout the year, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola, I love Joanna Penn's podcasts, you have reminded me I am overdue for a catch up.
      Best for 2017

      Delete
  18. Inspiring stuff as usual, Maria - especially as I know you weren't feeling a hundred percent. Glad you found your new hat too!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!