_

Pages

Sunday, 26 February 2017

A Balanced Life



Finding a balanced life isn't easy, often these days many of us are running on empty no matter how hard we try to balance our lives. So much is expected of us, and we expect so much of ourselves too. Once upon a time you would go to work all day, come home afterwards do your chores, and even have time left over for writing.

Nowadays we wear 'busy' like a badge of honour, and it's no good for us. Lots of us are working too many hours. Checking emails  after hours, trying to fit box sets in before bedtime, and what ever happened to taking a rest? Finding balance in your life will make you happier, healthier, more focused, and more productive. How can we find the time to rest more?

Start Early

Do your most important work early in the day. Get your daily word count done. There'll be less distractions, and once you've done it you'll be guilt free for the rest of day, and able to get on with other things.

Walk More 

Not only does walking keep you fit, it relaxes the mind, allowing the subconscious to give you a fresh perspective on that chapter you've been struggling with, or that opening that isn't quite right. Make it a brisk one for maximum benefit.

Exercise

Forget about stuff that requires four or five sessions a week at the gym, you haven't got time. However, a game of badminton once a week, or a pilates or yoga class is a good way of keeping body and soul fit. 

Express Yourself

Indulge in something you like doing, be that sketching, baking, or coarse fishing. Enjoy the pleasure of your hobbies, they provide detachment from the everyday mundane. Be nourished by them. Take time out and do something for you. 

Cat Nap

Never underestimate the power of a 20-minute nap, Allow your brain timeout to power down and recover focus. Impossible to do every day, but once or twice a week maybe? 

Reassess yourself on a weekly basis, set goals, but keep them simple,
and make sure you plan in time for yourself. Rest is underrated but very necessary for a balanced life. Making choices about what comes first may be tough, but you're worth it...

How do you find balance in your life? 

18 comments:

  1. I think it helps to look at why we do things. Often people are busy at things which don't really help them, or anyone else, and which they don't enjoy, but which they feel they 'should' do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, guilty of that one Patsy. I've since learnt to say NO to people. There are a few things I'm thinking about at the moment, where I can't decide if they are bringing me joy anymore.

      Delete
  2. Cooking for yourself. So important, I think. In fact, you may have inspired a future post on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a 'scratch' cook, I have to know what goes into my meals as I'm sulphite sensitive. I like making savoury food, and if I eat well I feel energised!
      Hope you write that post Alex...

      Delete
  3. A great reminder to me to exercise more. I've had a week of not enough sleep - awake at 5am every day, then tired and unproductive all day. I know I'd sleep better if I'd had more exercise. Must try harder. That should be my motto I think! A cat nap often saves my life, if I can fit one in. Hopefully this week will be a better one. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I managed a few cat naps last week, but they were early evening. Not the ideal time, but I felt good afterwards, and it gave me a little boost.

      Delete
  4. I try to keep my life balanced, but I never quite get there. I think most of us are like that. I have scaled way down on my activities the last five years or so (largely due to my chronic illness) and now I focus only on what I enjoy and not what feels like a chore. It's much easier that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Focusing on what you enjoy makes sense Melissa, I find the work, life balance the hardest one to deal with...

      Delete
  5. Good post, Maria. I do go for daily walks, and Pilates once a week. Just not very good at getting to bed early, and enough sleep is important too 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two out of three isn't bad though Ruth...

      Delete
  6. A daily walk works wonders, even if it's just to the letterbox and back. I'm also a big fan of the 30-minute timer, to remind me to stop and have a stretch: to regroup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that timer thing to remind me to drink water. :-)

      Delete
  7. All very good ways of balancing our lives, Maria, which I intend to do more of when we move in a couple of months and eventually get settled!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good time to start anew and find the right balance.
      Good luck with the move.

      Delete
  8. Very timely. I am doing better, but still have a long way to go. Might start with walking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Waking is good for you, I've tried to up my steps this week, but it's been tricky. Still time tomorrow.
      Hope you managed to get a walk into your week.

      Delete
  9. Some good tips, Maria. I like to walk too. I used to run, but can't anymore due to a dodgy knee, but I can walk! These are all ways of being kind to yourself and that's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is dire here this morning, so I am heading off to the gym to use the treadmill. I won't be running though, as that jars my back too much...however I should be able to get a brisk 15 minute walk in...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!