_

Pages

Sunday, 5 February 2017

Queen of Clean or Queen of Clutter?



Keeping things clean and tidy isn't fun but it's vital to our well being. What does your writing space look like right now? Mine is a mess, and it's why I'm not in there writing this blog post. My space has become a dumping ground for everything and everyone. It's crept up on me, and we're in the middle of a massive decluttering exercise here too, which isn't helping matters, BUT, nor should it be an excuse. It's time to take control.

The Plan 

De-clutter - Take a bin bag and a box to your writing space. Fill the bag with rubbish, and the box with things for the charity shop, or stuff you want to pass on to other writers, such as old copies of magazines. If in doubt, throw it out. Once you've got rid of everything you don't need, tidy everything that is left. File it, shelve it, put everything in a suitable place.

Clean - Once de-cluttered, you'll be able to see the space you've got. It's time to get the rubber gloves on and start cleaning. Start at the top and work down to the bottom, dust over lampshades and any pictures, and run round with the vacuum.

Repair - If any DIY is required, write a list and get it organised.

Organise - Put up a board for pinning notes, receipts or motivational quotes. Buy a tray for paperwork, use a mug for pens, and put all those notebooks away in a drawer or buy some nice stackable boxes.

Now open a window and let in some fresh air, or light a scented candle if you prefer. Doesn't that look better, and doesn't it feel good.

What makes a good writing space for you  - Good light? A clear desk? Having all your reference books to hand? A comfortable chair?  Let me know what makes you happy.


18 comments:

  1. I only have a corner of the dining table to write on so I clear away all the time. Not much chance to build up a mess! I dream of a desk of my own... But I know what you mean about decluttering though, it always makes me feel so much better and energised. I LOVE getting rid of stuff. Good luck with yours. My decluttering mantra is "Brutal, brutal, brutal." CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a very tidy person, but I am good at not keeping hold of stuff I don't need. (Sometimes too good!)

    As you know, my preferred writing spaces include a camper van, but I can write pretty much anywhere. The only thing I can't cope with is people talking in a way that draws my attention. Having the TV on for example wouldn't work, but I don't mind a bubble of conversation going on around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean Patsy, I don't mind stuff going on around me.

      Delete
  3. My writing desk begins each working week nice and tidy and by Tuesday it's littered with notes, books, pens empty glasses and mugs :) I clean up my week's mess on Friday afternoons. I must admit, I do like to be surrounded by my clutter. If by Wednesday my desk is still tidy, it generally means I've not been working hard enough. Great post, Maria.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not bad then if you keep having a clear up on Friday.

      Delete
  4. Yes, we did write the same things!

    I love the sound of what you are trying to achieve: Clean, clutter free, organised and a window open and/or some nice smelling candles...........

    We can dream can't we??

    Keep at it! I refuse to give up on my area. It will be a writing haven one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is great when you get your own space.

      Delete
  5. My first thought was, "This is great. I'll take leaf out of Maria's book." My second thought was, "Who am I kidding - it will never happen!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps do just a corner Wendy... :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm blessed to have a garden writing room so any mess, is my mess. I love to be surrounded by books so two huge bookcases take up two walls. I love a mug of pens and a notebook close by to jot down ideas that spring into my head, otherwise I'd forget them while I'm finishing off another section of my book. A cup of tea and plain chocolate digestives on the desk make a wonderful distraction mid morning. I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can throw open the double doors and let the fresh air in. Happy writing, Maria. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my dream writing room! Right down to the plain chocolate digestives and the cup of tea. How lucky are you. How jealous am I :-)

      Delete
  7. My, but you sound (and look) as though you mean business. Yes, it's amazing how the mess can accumulate. I don't know how that happens but it does. I use the spare bedroom to write, but the rest of the house also make use of the room to spread things 'to be sorted', or clothes ready for a trip away, or items waiting to go into the loft. It's usually the arrival of visitors that ensures the room is tidied and for a short while I regain my tidy writing area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very similar to what happens here.

      Delete
  8. My writing space is an absolute disgrace, but this is the year I'm going to get rid of the clutter everywhere, oh yes I am, I really am...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, go for it, do a little bit everyday and it'll make you feel better about the whole thing.

      Delete
  9. I love de-cluttering and right now we have even more excuse as we'll be moving house at some point so no better time! Trying to get my clothes under control is more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we've been talking about down sizing in the next five years, and that is what has prompted the decluttering. It's going to take us a while. How the hell we've accumulated all the stuff we have now I don't know...

      Delete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!