_

Pages

Sunday, 5 March 2017

Best Foot Forward



I can't believe it's March and we're into the third month of the year already. I always think of daffodils and spring lambs, lighter evenings and fresh air! It's time for an update.

Writing

I've blogged regularly during January and February, and enjoyed it. It's made me think about trying some non fiction writing now, rather than later on as I'd originally planned to do, when I set my goals back in January.

Flash fiction featured heavily over the past few months, and several 150 word pieces have been penned, which I'm looking to place in competitions. My novel hasn't seen much progress, I'm stalled, yet another mental block! It's hard to know what to do next and the only real solution is to keep going I suppose.

About ten days ago I swapped to a novel I started back in 2010, madness I know, as I should of carried on with the other.

#writngchat over on Twitter has been fun on Wednesday evenings over the last few months, and I've made some new friends. Feel free to join the conversation between 8pm - 9pm and don't forget to use the hashtag to keep up with the conversations.

Exercise

Pilates, meditation and stretch classes have all been done, but nothing has been on a regular basis.

Other Stuff

I had a birthday last month! And went to London for the day. It was wet and cold and trying to snow, but I had a lovely day out, which included a train journey into the city, breakfast and watching a play at the Kings Head Theatre Pub, which is a fabulous venue, although they were always going to score high with me because when you ordered tea, it came out on a small china tray, in a china cup served with homemade cake! I didn't ask for any cake, it just arrived. It was delicious!

Mostly, I've been off colour the last few months, and I'm flipping fed up with it! So I'm really looking forward to good health in March.

For the month ahead I'm hopeful I'll get out and about a little more than I have over the last few months. It would be good to report on more walking and exercise, and more words of course.

Best foot forward then...

Let me know what you've done during the last few months, and what your plans are for this one?

17 comments:

  1. Yes! Join the non-fiction writing world, Maria! I have written two novels, and I am definitely more proud of these than my memoirs, but I've written four memoirs and a travelogue and love writing non-fiction! Hope you get well with the coming spring. I've felt a certain malaise myself these last months. Winter wobbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I need to get the cogs in my mind moving, and have a go at the nonfiction.

      Delete
  2. A belated happy birthday Maria, it sounds like you had a brilliant day. I like anywhere that brings me cake without asking as well. Sorry you've been under the weather though, I do hope you're back to full strength soon. I've been trying to write a little fiction - short stories at the moment. It's slow going at the moment but I'm hoping it'll get easier. And of course it's pretty rubbishy, but I'm holding on to Ray Bradbury's quote, something about writing one every week for a year because it's impossible to write 52 bad short stories in a row. I hope he's right! I'm also pressing on with the non-fiction and thinking about maybe doing an editing course. It's something I'd love to do but it's quite pricey. We shall see. Goal for this week is to really start getting into the habit of using my time more wisely. I need to use all those small chunks as well as the big chunks. Hope you have a good (and productive) week and that you feel better. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! CJ you sound really motivated. I've not heard that Ray Bradbury quote before, but I really like it!
      Thank you for your good wishes, and good luck with your week.

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry you haven't been feeling your best these last few months, Maria but at least spring is nearly here. It's a shame I can never get involved in Wednesday 'writing chat' but it's around the time my husband comes home from work and it would be a bit rude to ignore him for an hour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, that made me smile. My hubby takes a bath during #writingchat so that works out well.

      Delete
  4. I hope you shake off the winter blues this week, Maria. I write lots of non-fiction and it's a different kettle of fish from fiction. I don't if it actually uses a different part of my brain, but it certainly feels like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I fancy having a go at it Julia...

      Delete
  5. Sorry you've not been feeling well. Hope you soon feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unexpected cake would have my vote too. Hope you feel better soon - fingers crossed the weather picks up and you'll shake it off and get out into the sunshine :-) Belated birthday wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

      Delete
  7. Hi Maria - happy birthday belated, but have a good birthday year and better health. Thankfully Spring does seem to make life easier for us. Sounds as though the writing is progressing - it's just those block hurdles we need to get through ... good luck and I too am glad March is here ... all the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope the spring brings lots of sunshine and much better health for you, Maria. Belated happy birthday to you - your London day out sounds lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teresa, upwards and onwards, that's my motto for March...

      Delete
  9. Hi Maria, and congratulations on all those pieces of flash fiction! There are quite a lot of openings out there for flash - both publication opportunities and competitions. I hope you find a home for them all.

    And, yes, it's a lovely time of year, perfect for walking!

    Helen

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!