_

Pages

Sunday, 19 March 2017

Finding Your Purpose



Do you want to be more intentional? It's not easy trying to juggle everything, but if you can create good habits, you have a greater chance of being successful.

Define Priorities

Sit down and think about what you really enjoy doing,  Write a short list of the three things that are most important to you. In my experience people are only ever successful in things they really feel passionate about, so get your thinking cap on, and decide if that is writing, perhaps it's poetry, flash fiction, or writing a novel, in which case, stop putting all your energy into the other stuff.

Set a Schedule

Define what you are going to do with your time. Time is precious, so plan in advance how you will be spending it. A good habit to get into is to plan in the evening what you intend to do the next day. Make a simple, don't overload yourself with a long list, keep it short, put it into practice and work through it with enthusiasm. Striking a line through a task is very satisfying.

Don't give into your excuses about not having time to write. If you want to, you'll find the time. Be committed and follow through.

****

This week I intend to look at my novel synopsis and see if I'm on track with the rewrite.
Produce a piece of flash fiction and sub a piece of fiction. I'll also be listening to an audio book, and catching up on podcasts. What's on your list?

18 comments:

  1. Two really great tips Maria, I shall definitely do this. I think the idea of setting out what I should do the next day will be particularly helpful. I have a to-do list for the week, but the problem I find is that I put things off until tomorrow. I'll be trying the night-before list this week, I'll let you know how it goes. Hope you have a good (and productive) week. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ, hope you get on okay with the new regime. Can't wait to hear how you get on...

      Delete
  2. This post has made me reflect on my own activities and focus on those which matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works well for you.

      Delete
  3. I often have a list to complete, but I fall down on the scheduling - I plan to practice scheduling my time :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I am the same, it's really tough to get on track, but after the first few weeks it's easier.

      Delete
  4. Good advice. I keep collecting new projects, and forget the need to focus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what i have been doing...why do we do it?

      Delete
  5. I have monthly targets set with writing friend Tracy but two weeks Ago I decided to make a more detailed plan to help my novel progress faster. So far it's working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good to hear Wendy, I'm sure all your efforts will be worth it.

      Delete
  6. Oh dear - planning and scheduling time is something I need to improve upon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough call Rosemary, but if you can do it for just a week, and see what a difference it makes...

      Delete
  7. A thought provoking post, Maria. Maybe if I follow your advice, I won't waste as much time as I am doing. I've found it very hard to start writing again after a holiday. Therefore, getting back to the novel has to be high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a difficult one Jan, I usually try to write when I'm away but last year I lost my flow and struggled to get back into it...this year I'm undecided if I should put my pen down for the entire holiday, or if I should write throughout. If I decide to take that route, I'll make a list but scale it back to one thing a day, and keep it really simple.

      Delete
  8. Thinking about what'sreally important to us, rather than chasing the things we feel we should want, is a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've just finished an published a travelogue and would love to get back to the novel I am writing, but work is taking up all my time at the moment...in three weeks, the worst period will be over....then I'll have more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find work gets in the way too. Unfortunately, it's a necessary evil.
      Hope you manage to get on your novel soon.

      Delete
  10. Inspiring post, Maria. I love the way your mind works. I hope all is well. Have a super new week.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!