_

Pages

Sunday, 12 March 2017

Stolen Memories



Usually, I'm upbeat and positive about things but the last week has been horrendous! This weeks post reflects my mood, and I make no apologies for trying to write it out of my system here on my blog. Feel free to skip this week.

Last Thursday, my daughter was either pick-pocketed, or she 'lost' her purse in Berlin airport, consequently, I ended up fetching her home when she got back into the UK, she had no ID, and no money. She was very distressed, and it took all weekend to begin the process of getting her sorted and back to Leeds University.

On Monday morning, I went to work, and all but passed out from the pressure and pain in my ear and sinuses. I went home unwell, ready to collapse, only to discover we'd been burgled. It was a shock.

The thieves had broken in by smashing through the kitchen window. The damage they have done is unreal, the glass shattered and large shards gouged my oak table, the place I sit and write, where my family and I share meals. It is the heart of our home. The boulder they threw went through the glass hit the closed kitchen door with force, smashing through it landed on my ceramic tiled floor doing more damage.

They went into every room in the house, pulled out every drawer and cupboard, stole cash, jewellery and my cameras amongst other things. Then they let themselves out of the front door. I have had to deal with it all...the Police, the SOCCO officer who came to dust for prints, although there weren't any as they wore gloves. And the insurance company.

The full impact of what has happened didn't sink in for a few days, but it has now and I feel utterly depressed. And vulnerable. I feel that this person, or people have stolen my memories. They took my jewellery box which contained precious photographs of me and my dad. He died young, when I was thirteen. My mother gave them to me, they can never be replaced. They stole my babies identification bracelets from when they were born, and much more besides. My engagement ring, eternity ring, jewellery my mother had given me, and other items. It has made me sad, and angry all at the same time.

None of this is helped by the fact that I'm ill again. I went to the GP next day, and have yet more antibiotics to swallow down, and now there is mention that I may have a nerve issue, which is why my jaw and teeth are so painful, and why the painkillers aren't working!

I'm totally and utterly fed up, and I know I should be relieved that I wasn't home when it happened, and that it could have been much worse. And I am grateful it isn't worse, but right now I'm out of sorts with the world. I need time to pick myself up and dust myself down.

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I am SO SORRY this has happened to you! People can be so unbelievably cruel. I can't imagine having to go through something like this. Take the time to recover and yes, write about what you went through. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Maria, I'm so sorry, those are two horrible things to have happened, and to be in so much pain on top of it all must be the last straw. You have my utmost sympathy. To have all that damage as well as the loss of precious things with the family memories associated with them is dreadful, I really am so sorry. I hope you have some good friends around you to help and that you're able to at least sort the mess and the damage. And I hope the insurance company are helpful too, although I know that can be a trial in itself. Sending you a cyber hug Maria, and my very best wishes that your health improves very soon. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Maria - gosh what a lot of very unfortunate happenings ... pickpocketing is just something to be so aware of - I'm glad that's sorted. Then your illness and coming home to find that devastation ... I've had burglaries, but nothing this bad - I do hope you can have someone with you for comfort and to talk to ... You certainly seem to have had your family life violated ... and it does linger and live with you - I just hope you will feel easier soon ... I'm sure it will take time. They are real thugs and so unfair ... I hope they can catch the gang - and you get some recompense - but somehow I hope you can 'ease' away and not let the violation control you - your last para sums it up ... then your health ... look after that as best you can ...

    my thoughts and love - and yes it could have been worse ... all things told, but that doesn't help much - all the same ... take care - and thinking of you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear this. What a hideous week. The thieves who have stolen so much that is precious to you but is worthless to them make me feel especially angry. I'm not suggesting, of course, it was OK to take stuff that is valuable to them! Nothing justifies behaviour, nothing at all. I send my thoughts to help you get over the shock and to be well soon, but I know that the sadness of the losses will always remain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a dreadful week, Maria - it's impossible to understand fully how you must be feeling. But I do greatly sympathise. Please be kind to yourself as much as possible just now and seek any help on offer to help you deal with the trauma. Rosemary x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you feel for writing it out? Nothing can ever be replaced. No matter what it is they have taken. As I said in my e-mail, they take some of you with them - that is the vulnerability you are feeling. You will learn to live with that eventually, and I hope you can make your home a haven again. It is such a hard thing to deal with. This was obviously intentional. It is heart breaking. Again, I will be praying for your items to be returned, especially the irreplaceable ones.

    Keep moving forward and take one day at a time.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh,Maria how awful, so sorry to hear of all your problems this last week. I know how precious those family memories will be and I feel for you. Words will not make the hurt go away but know we are thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, I'm so sorry this has happened to you. The sentimental value of the things we keep is priceless, and in most cases worthless to others. I don't know what to say, because I don't want my comments to upset you even more. I hope the burglars are caught, and perhaps have even still got some of your items xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Maria. What a terrible time- I'm so dreadfully sorry for all that's happened to you. You are absolutely right to put it all on your blog. This way you'll know you're not alone (in spirit anyway). Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Maria. I don't know what to say, and the answer of course is there is nothing to say that will in any extent help to ease the pain and loss. But please know that you are in my thoughts. I hope your health improves with suitable medication as that will help to give you strength to deal with the practical and emotional fallout from this dreadful experience. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was awful news, Maria - especially losing the sentimental items. Really hope they catch those responsible. I'm sure it's little comfort, but I know that, eventually, you will be able to turn all this negativity into yet more great writing. You are too positive a person to let something like this keep you down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a dreadful experience. It's enough to make you lose all faith in humanity. You will be angry and feel vulnerable but, from your blog, I feel that this will not stop you from moving on with your life. No-one can steal your memories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear of your news and I hope that you will do all you can to take care of yourself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so sorry to read your post, Maria, and can only imagine how miserable you feel. I do hope your health improves so that you can deal with the emotional fall out of these awful things that have happened to you. Sending positive vibes across the miles to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such an awful thing to happen, Maria - and on top of the other problems. Of course it's left you feeling down. Sending a virtual hug.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you all for all your kind comments. I'm in a better place now, and normal service will be resumed here very soon.

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!