|Maria A Smith|
Sunday, 30 April 2017
5 Quick Writing Ideas
Are you in the middle of a creative slump? Has the creative well dried up? Or do you just need some inspiration? Most writers feel blocked at some time during their lifetime. Don’t worry it won’t last for ever, and there are things you can do to get yourself unblocked.
Maybe you just need to change where you write, or when you write, or perhaps it's what you're writing?
Have you tried talking it over with a writing buddy? Or doing something completely different may be enough to get you back on track again. Or perhaps you need a little inspiration to get you started. .
Here are 5 quick writing ideas to get the muse flowing again.
1. Free Writing - Pick up a pen and write, don’t stop, simply write, forget about spelling, and grammar just get anything that comes into your mind written down. Do this for five minutes, and if you’re stuck starting, write ‘I’m stuck, I’m stuck until a word pops into your mind, then write that down and another will follow.
Afterwards, look through what you’ve written and find a phrase or a sentence, something you can use. It may take a few sessions before you can use free writing effectively.
2. Random First Line Prompts - Generate one by either opening the nearest book and reading out the 7th sentence such as I’ve just done; ‘She decided to go to her father’s grave to ask his advice.’ Or pick out the first line of dialogue you see on the page. ‘I’m ready to try again, if you are?’ Use either to begin your writing.
3. Write ten ‘factual’ statements about a character you don’t know yet. Write them quickly, like I’ve done here.
1. He wears different wigs.
2. He like to be called Billy
3. He has a poodle
4. He drinks far too much
5 He used to be a conductor
6. He is married to Joan
And so on, until you have ten statements, then write one sentence about your character and more will follow.
4. Write about your favourite childhood toy?
5. The most interesting place I have ever been to was?
The bottom line is - you overcome writers block by writing. Give my suggestions a go and let me know how you get on, whether you’re blocked or not.
Bluebells in the grounds of Chatsworth, Derbyshire - Maria A Smith Nearly two months ago I made this list of goals - See how I've g...
Image Credit In the company of a friend, I noticed she was busy scribbling words down onto paper, nothing unusual with that, except she...
Hello friends, I wish you all a very Happy and Healthy New Year. There's something exciting about welcoming in the new year don...
Checking the Time Honestly, I feel like I'm stuck in a cycle of stop-start, stop-start with the blog this year. Anyone else feelin...