_

Pages

Monday, 24 April 2017

Only You Can Make Yourself Happy

Clumber Park April 2017 - Maria A Smith


If you’re not feeling tickety-boo about yourself, or your situation, maybe it’s because you’re not happy? Perhaps it’s time to stop focusing on the negative things, and instead focus on what really makes you happy. When it comes to emotions, what meaning you give to things and what you focus on, control the way you’re going to feel. If you feel negative about what you’re doing, it’s going to eventually make you unhappy. 

So if you don’t look forward to going to the gym, and feel it’s something you’re obliged to do, then find another exercise. Stop beating yourself up - the gym isn’t your only option, you could join a running club or go to a yoga class instead, or walk to and from work every day. Stop doing stuff that makes you feel unhappy and grumpy. 

Likewise, if your goal is to write short stories, but you’re not enjoying it, reset your goals. Write a novel, or a poem, or try you hand at articles instead. You’re still a writer, and you’ll be happier finding something you enjoy writing. 

It’s the meaning of things that make you happy, not the things, and if you can change your mindset, then you’re on your way to happiness.  

I’ve had a very happy weekend away (which is why this post is a little later than usual) I’ve been recharging my creative batteries at Clumber Park in Nottinghamshire. The weather has been beautiful, and I did lots of walking through the ancient woodland. Life slowed right down, allowing me time to refocus and I’ve come back feeling energised.
Have a good week and let me know what makes you happy? 

Squirrel at Clumber Park  - Maria A Smith

Let's Build a Den!  - Maria A Smith

Anyone seen the bats?  - Maria A Smith 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this. I needed to hear what you have said. It seems like you are turning the corner too. Keep on moving forward.
    I had some passive aggressive comments made to me yesterday, about getting a real job. Very hurtful, but I am more determined than ever to prove everyone wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really sorry to hear you have met with negativity. Avoid the mood hoovers at all cost Ingrid. Follow your dream. There are others on here who have done it - you can do it too!

      Delete
  2. Lovely photos, it looks like a beautiful spot. Everywhere is gorgeous at the moment in the spring sunshine and blossom isn't it. Being outside helps me as well, and gives me more energy. I agree with what you say about sticking with what makes you happy. I'm still working out what that is at times! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll come to you CJ, keep thinking about it, jot down everything that comes into your head however silly. You can look back at your notes in a month and see what you've written. You might be surprised at what it throws up.

      Delete
  3. I agree that life is too short to be doing any form of exercise or writing that you don't enjoy. I hate the gym but walk and dance for my exercise. With regards to writing, I'm lucky in that I enjoy both long and short fiction and articles too but if, at any time, one of them stops being enjoyable, I shall just Put it aside and try something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous photos, Maria, and wise words!

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!