_

Pages

Sunday, 25 June 2017

Try Again



I've been getting outside as much as possible this weekend, either reading in the recliner, or walking, or cycling. Yes really - I'm riding my bike again!

Confession time. I've avoided cycling for years, because it makes my back ache, and the saddle's uncomfortable, and although I fancy the idea of getting fitter, and seeing more of my surrounding area, I haven't pursued it. However, after some nagging from hubby, I reluctantly had the bike serviced, and a new tyre fitted, and yesterday we went out for a ride.

I haven't ridden a bike for fifteen years, and then it was only now and again - I should never have got this bike, the previous one got next to no use either, it had racer style handlebars, and it really did hurt my back. Hubby took it to the local bike shop and swapped it for the one I have now, which has upright handlebars. Looking after young children, working and keeping house meant the bike stood in the garage glaring at me every time I went in there to fetch some potatoes. At the time, it was the thing easiest not to do, and I needed little encouragement.

I don't feel quite so guilty because the bike has been used. My youngest progressed from tricycle, barbie doll bike with stabilisers, big girl bike and then on to use the bike known as 'the bike mum never rides' we all laugh about it now and again. She was most put out when I told her I was taking it away with me. She's home from University and goes everywhere on it. I did feel a little guilty about taking it away this weekend.

Hubby and I set off down quiet country roads towards the country park close to where we're staying in our caravan. At first riding it felt clumsy, I wobbled a little, but my back was fine, and I got used to the gears and the brakes easily enough. The seat is an issue - I've heard you can get gel saddles which are supposed to be more comfy - I wonder if you can get an extra wide saddle? Memory foam perhaps? A back rest? Well you never know. Either that or I need to try harder with my healthy eating regime and lose some more weight!

It was good to feel the wind in my hair and it's true you do get a different perspective on things when riding a  bike. Also it would of taken us a lot longer to have walked, so yes, cycling has something to offer.

We happened across a cafe in the park, as you do, so we stopped for a cheeseburger and a cup of tea, and sat watching the people around us, which is an inspiration for any writer.  Afterwards, we set off again to explore more of the area, and although my legs were beginning to feel the burn on the inclines, I still made it back to the campsite with a smile on my face.

Now who knows, with a few adjustments to my bicycle, and my attitude, I might try it again soon, and reap more of the benefits too.

The same can be applied to your writing - Is there something you've tried before? Something you gave up years ago because it felt uncomfortable, or seemed too hard. A memoir, or a novel, or writing non-fiction? Whatever it was, have you ever thought about giving it a second chance?

Perhaps, there is something you could try again, and who knows, with practice and adjustment, and a little perseverance, you might find it makes you happier too. Go on, give it a go today and let me know how you got on.


12 comments:

  1. Well done you on the cycling. And yes, you can get an extra wide saddle - I have one! Years ago (very many years ago) I cycled from Bristol down through France, Spain and Morocco. I changed the saddle that came on my bike to a wide one and put a gel cover over it. I still feel it if I cycle after not doing so for a long time, but if I keep going regularly any pain disappears. It really is a lovely way to get about. Fast enough to cover decent ground, but you still feel very connected to the landscape.

    Writing-wise, my first novel attempt was made in very regimented bits of time after work. I set myself up at a desk and tapped away at it. I think I should get back into a regular groove like that, I do so much better with routine. Glad you had a good break, keep up the cycling! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Maria - sounds a delightful outing ... the wind through your hair and those muscles getting some use - well done is all I can say. I'm sure you'll be using it more often - enjoy the break and change of scenery ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well another day, and a new gel over saddle and a cycle helmet and things feel and look a little brighter Hilary...

      Delete
  3. Great post, Maria. Yep, the thing about riding a bike is you never forget how to do it - it's like, well . . . riding a bike! Lovely to hear you trying and enjoying something you haven't done in years and linking it back to Writing is a good reminder to all of us.

    Yes, the new saddle is a good idea, but even better is to get a hybrid bike that has a bit of suspension on the front forks. You would not believe the difference this makes to comfort. Good luck and keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wayne, the bike is one of those urban hybrid bikes, for city or countryside riding, and yes you never forget how to ride them. Been out along the coastal road on it today with the new gel over saddle. Still a bit sore on the backside but I am getting a little more used to it! :-)

      Delete
  4. Are your cheeks aching today? I mean from smiling, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were! :-) Not too bad now, need to keep going out on it I think...

      Delete
  5. Well done on getting back on two wheels. I hear that gel covers are good...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Time will tell - I'll let you know.

      Delete
  6. Hi Maria...thanks for visiting my place. Is this shot yours, or off the net? It's a nice shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, it's from Pixabay, I share my work there, and also download images too.
      I'm without a decent camera at the moment as we were burgled a few months ago and I'm waiting for the insurance company to pay out. Can't wait to get out and about with a decent camera again.

      Delete
  7. Congrats on getting back on a bike. I cycled everywhere as a student, but now confess I prefer walking!
    On the subject of trying again, I have a few half-finished novels I think I could dust off and maybe, even, finish 😄

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to leave me a comment, and I try to reply to every one. Many thanks!